The Notebook v4.0

Talk about anything in here!
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:59 pm

Dyolf wrote:
Alec Taylor wrote:The tradition of Coelcerth sounds like it was ripe for abuse. I wonder how many people had their stones taken in the middle of the night by some mischievous prankster only to end up dying that year anyway by pure happenstance?
To be honest, the tradition I heard more of was the stone which is scorched/marked by the fire is the person who will die. I think that should have said "the person whose name is gone", not their stone.
Ah okay, that sounds way more fair. My interpretation had much darker consequences, since you could totally swipe someone's stone and put them in a Final Destination sort of scenario. :lol:
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:08 pm

Alec Taylor wrote:
Dyolf wrote:
Alec Taylor wrote:The tradition of Coelcerth sounds like it was ripe for abuse. I wonder how many people had their stones taken in the middle of the night by some mischievous prankster only to end up dying that year anyway by pure happenstance?
To be honest, the tradition I heard more of was the stone which is scorched/marked by the fire is the person who will die. I think that should have said "the person whose name is gone", not their stone.
Ah okay, that sounds way more fair. My interpretation had much darker consequences, since you could totally swipe someone's stone and put them in a Final Destination sort of scenario. :lol:
:twisted:

I don't know when the tradition ended, I suspect with the arrival of Christianity. I've only ever heard of it in terms of folklore.

EDIT: 'Coelcerth' is just the Welsh word for 'bonfire'.
Y Chwe Gwlad 2019 The Six Nations 2019

Ffrainc France 19 – 24 Cymru Wales
Yr Eidal Italy 15 – 26 Cymru Wales
Cymru Wales 21 – 13 Lloegr England
Yr Alban Scotland 11 – 18 Cymru Wales
Cymru Wales 25 – 7 Iwerddon Ireland

:mrgreen:

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:33 am

The guidelines in the United States for what counts as hypertension (high blood pressure) just got dropped from 140/90 to 130/80. That literally gave me high blood pressure, because mine sits at like 135/85 on the regular. I just got it down from the previous threshold too. FML
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:59 pm

I don't like a world that allows Charles Manson to outlive Clarence Clemons. Can we have a do-over on that? Or maybe exchange them or something?

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:12 pm

Artisan wrote:I don't like a world that allows Charles Manson to outlive Clarence Clemons. Can we have a do-over on that? Or maybe exchange them or something?
No kidding. Well, had he gotten the gas chamber as he was originally sentenced many of my musical heroes would've outlived him.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:18 pm

The best thing to come from him was "Never Learn Not to Love". May the Devil fuck him in the rear for eternity.
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:42 am

I don't feel like going to their website ever again - how many articles did Rolling Stone write about him? I know that there's "Manson's legacy" and "Manson's contribution to music", I feel like there might be at least one or five more.

It's times like this that I can remember that there's a song called "Being A Cobbler Is Dumb" and laugh.

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:42 pm

Someone at Telltale Games must be a fan of Floyd. I recently bought their Guardians of the Galaxy game which has trophies/achievements called "A Momentary Lapse of Reason", "Obscured by Clouds", "The Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here". The rest of the trophies/achievements also have rock 'n' roll names, like "Space Oddity", "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", "A Kind of Magic", "Electric Warrior", "Darkness On the Edge of Town", "Brothers in Arms" and "A Little Help from My Friends".

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:51 pm

Happy to announce that Madi and I are now engaged.
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:18 am

Alec Taylor wrote:Happy to announce that Madi and I are now engaged.
Llongyfarchiadau i chi ddau!
Congratulations to you both!

Floydy
Meddle

Post by Floydy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:01 am

You know how I feel Alec but I'll say it again here. I am so happy for you and Madi. There's a damn load of love coming your way from Australia my man.

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:21 pm

Congrats to you and Madi!
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:42 am

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda, bawb!
Happy New Year, everyone!

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:24 am

For the new year, be kind to one another. Detach from social media, enjoy some good music, and bask in the sunlight. The online world has been overtaken by hate and lies, so don't let yourself be taken in by any of these spectral delusions.
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:57 pm

Alec Taylor wrote:For the new year, be kind to one another. Detach from social media, enjoy some good music, and bask in the sunlight. The online world has been overtaken by hate and lies, so don't let yourself be taken in by any of these spectral delusions.
Being kind to one another would go a long way!
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:52 am

Got my genetics tested finally, and learned that I am exclusively of Viking, Saxon, and Celtic descent with almost nothing else tossed in. At least, that's the biological traits that I've inherited from my family line. Apparently my paternal lineage can be traced back as having came from Persia in ancient times, so I guess if I ended up being completely British those crazy Persians made quite the migration.
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:04 pm

Alec Taylor wrote:Got my genetics tested finally, and learned that I am exclusively of Viking, Saxon, and Celtic descent with almost nothing else tossed in. At least, that's the biological traits that I've inherited from my family line. Apparently my paternal lineage can be traced back as having came from Persia in ancient times, so I guess if I ended up being completely British those crazy Persians made quite the migration.
I'd take these tests with a pinch of salt. I've done one too. They're not 100% accurate and they can only really suggest the most probable origins due to halotypes present in your DNA. They're a good place to start, or to aid, your investigation into your family history. Europeans originated around the Caucasian Steppe (hence caucasian = white), and they spoke a language called Proto-Indo-European (PIE). These people migrated mostly east - into Europe, and west along a corridor as far as India, hence why languages found along this corridor have clear cognates with European languages. So to say that you have Persian DNA, as well as Viking, Saxon and Celtic could easily just point to being "European" in a more broad sense. Stereotypically, Celts were sallow-skinned, dark-haired and blue-eyed; Vikings were taller than Celts, slightly fairer in complexion and of varying hair colour; not sure about Saxons. Persion were, obviously, darker skinned, darker-haired and also brown-eyed - but these alone are not enough to identify oneself as any one of these groups - just take the Irish - the one nation most non-Europeans associate with the term "Celtic" and they're stereotypically ginger and pale! However, Wales and Scotland are also Celtic countries with Celtic areas also existing in England (Cornwall) and France (Brittany); as well as islands like the Isle of Man.

If I were you, I'd do some investigating into your family history if you want to find out where you're really from.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:21 pm

Dyolf wrote:
Alec Taylor wrote:Got my genetics tested finally, and learned that I am exclusively of Viking, Saxon, and Celtic descent with almost nothing else tossed in. At least, that's the biological traits that I've inherited from my family line. Apparently my paternal lineage can be traced back as having came from Persia in ancient times, so I guess if I ended up being completely British those crazy Persians made quite the migration.
I'd take these tests with a pinch of salt. I've done one too. They're not 100% accurate and they can only really suggest the most probable origins due to halotypes present in your DNA. They're a good place to start, or to aid, your investigation into your family history. Europeans originated around the Caucasian Steppe (hence caucasian = white), and they spoke a language called Proto-Indo-European (PIE). These people migrated mostly east - into Europe, and west along a corridor as far as India, hence why languages found along this corridor have clear cognates with European languages. So to say that you have Persian DNA, as well as Viking, Saxon and Celtic could easily just point to being "European" in a more broad sense. Stereotypically, Celts were sallow-skinned, dark-haired and blue-eyed; Vikings were taller than Celts, slightly fairer in complexion and of varying hair colour; not sure about Saxons. Persion were, obviously, darker skinned, darker-haired and also brown-eyed - but these alone are not enough to identify oneself as any one of these groups - just take the Irish - the one nation most non-Europeans associate with the term "Celtic" and they're stereotypically ginger and pale! However, Wales and Scotland are also Celtic countries with Celtic areas also existing in England (Cornwall) and France (Brittany); as well as islands like the Isle of Man.

If I were you, I'd do some investigating into your family history if you want to find out where you're really from.
Fairly certain your description of all those people kind of describes Alec very well...

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:20 am

Indeed they do. I went into this with my family records already present, and the genetic results simply backed up what I already know. Anything that showed up that wasn't directly from the British Isles belonged to another part of the world where there is an overlap anyway. Outside of my known homeland, there was traces of Scandinavian (Viking, which I had already tracked down to specific locations across England and Ireland anyway), German (no known German ancestors, but Saxon DNA can be pegged as German or British), and Iberian (which, when in trace amounts, is indicative of Celtic ancestry due to an Iberian immigration into the British Isles after the initial invasion of Muslims that is leftover after all these years).

We can even look at my family's last names for evidence. Taylor, Portman, Owens, Gray, McGuire, McClain. No rocket science there, we know where those names come from. And the idea of being British isn't that farfetched either given my penchant for British music and my family's long line of crooked teeth.
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:52 pm

Vikings left very little behind in Britain as far as DNA goes. Same with the Romans. They invaded and settled, but did not, it seems, mate with the Celtic inhabitants as we once thought. Most Viking DNA comes from Scandinavia itself or from the northern Scottish islands.

Owens is most definitely a Welsh surname (albeit anglicised), derived directly from the given name Owain (c.f. the anglicised form, Owen). There is debate over whether it is the Welsh form of the name Eugene or whether it comes from the Celtic word eoghunn (youth). Owain is also closely associated with Arthurian legend and is the name of the last ruler-proper of Wales, Owain Glyndŵr. Taylor and Portman are just job-names like Smith. Gray is an alternative form of grey before the spelling became fixed to 'e' rather than 'a' and just means 'grey', apparently often used as a nickname for someone with grey hair "John the Grey" etc.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:49 am

Things I've seen say that certain areas of the British Isles retain communities of people that are still of Viking descent, and my matriarchal name Lund comes from the Old Norse word lundr, meaning "grove" or "tree". There is in fact a city in Norway called Lund so that's a good link as well. A huge portion of my family is also from the Isle of Man, which has a rich Viking history. I do not have any trace of Roman DNA in me, just the Iberian that exists as a remnant in my Celtic past.

Another interesting feature is that it also shows which generations in my family came from where. The generation that correlates to my ancestors from the Isle of Man and from Yorkshire is distinctly "Scandinavian", but I have the physical proof that they are in fact from the British Isles. So one way or another, my family managed to stay "pure" for a while, or possibly even immigrated from Scandinavia to the British Isles later on before jumping over to the United States. I can't find many records that date back before them (since we're pushing back into the 1600s and earlier), so I'll never know for sure on that.

The Taylor family is no mystery. They came over from England during the colonial period and settled in the Appalachians as Tennessee was getting its statehood, before moving to the frontier and settling in Missouri. Pretty standard story with that. LOL
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:13 am

Today's discovery: taking field recordings of factory noises off my phone's voice recorder and trying to use them as samples to construct an industrial percussion track to add to a 2 and a half year old song demo at 4 in the morning is a lot harder than I thought it would be. Also I ran out of samples after 5 bars. Time to get a portable recorder for field recordings (unless my Tascam is small enough to fit in my pocket, which I don't think it is)

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:02 pm

Does anyone else find the responsiveness of this forum rather slow? If I scroll up and down there's some serious lag and it takes a while to load pages. None of this happens with other sites.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:28 pm

I can't say that I do, but when I read "the responsiveness of this forum rather slow", I half expected a commentary about how Floydians is dying. LOL
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:36 pm

Alec Taylor wrote:I can't say that I do, but when I read "the responsiveness of this forum rather slow", I half expected a commentary about how Floydians is dying. LOL
Internet fora and chatrooms are dying. Everyone's on Reddit and/or Discord servers now.