Euro 2016

Talk about anything in here!
Dyolf
Animals

Re: Euro 2016

Post by Dyolf » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:11 am

I'm proud of our team. Wales' football team has been somewhat of a laughing stock for as long as I can remember. The important thing is we got further than England :D
Y Chwe Gwlad 2019 The Six Nations 2019

Ffrainc France 19 – 24 Cymru Wales
Yr Eidal Italy 15 – 26 Cymru Wales
Cymru Wales 21 – 13 Lloegr England
Yr Alban Scotland 11 – 18 Cymru Wales
Cymru Wales 25 – 7 Iwerddon Ireland

:mrgreen:

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:49 pm

Did any of England's team leave in the middle of the game? :lol:

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:32 pm

Artisan wrote:Did any of England's team leave in the middle of the game? :lol:
Replace "game" with "tournament" -- yes they did. They lost to a country with 300,000 inhabitants. :D

Wales and England are different teams, by the way. The UK's countries (i.e. England, Scotland, Wales, North-Ireland and Gibraltar if I remember correctly) all have their own team due to historical stuff that just lingered.

I'm not sure how British people feel about it, but we Belgians think it's weird that the UK gets to send 5 teams to each tournament. :P
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:38 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:
Replace "game" with "tournament" -- yes they did. They lost to a country with 300,000 inhabitants. :D

Wales and England are different teams, by the way. The UK's countries (i.e. England, Scotland, Wales, North-Ireland and Gibraltar if I remember correctly) all have their own team due to historical stuff that just lingered.

I'm not sure how British people feel about it, but we Belgians think it's weird that the UK gets to send 5 teams to each tournament. :P
Well hell, if that's how you guys like to play, let's split the American team up into 50 different groups, one for each state! Talk about oversaturation, huh? :lol:
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:06 pm

SunShade wrote:
The Silver Lining wrote:

Well hell, if that's how you guys like to play, let's split the American team up into 50 different groups, one for each state! Talk about oversaturation, huh? :lol:
By that logic, even Belgium could have 4 teams in. :D

Who knows, maybe someday there will be a United States of Europe, and Euro 2040 will consist of 4 teams: Wales, Northern Ireland, Russia and the USE. England didn't make it through the qualification stages.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:55 am

The Silver Lining wrote:

I'm not sure about Gibraltar. But yes, Wales, England, Scotland and Northern Ireland all have their own football teams; and Wales, England and Scotland have their own rugby teams but Ireland and Northern Ireland join together for the Irish rugby team. There's also the British & Irish Lions rugby team which is invitational and open to anyone who plays in the Welsh, English, Scottish or Irish national teams. The UK rugby teams compete in an annual championship called The 6 Nations (Wales, England, Scotland, Ireland, France and Italy), 4-yearly in the Rugby World Cup and 4 yearly in a British and Irish Lions tour (of New Zealand, Australia or South Africa, in rotation).

It's really that weird because Wales, England, Scotland and Ireland are all different culturally and whereas we pretty much all see ourselves as "British" we're all Welsh, English, Scottish or Irish first, that said England also has strong rivalries with Scotland and Wales going back centuries. Politically we're one nation, but really we're four.
Y Chwe Gwlad 2019 The Six Nations 2019

Ffrainc France 19 – 24 Cymru Wales
Yr Eidal Italy 15 – 26 Cymru Wales
Cymru Wales 21 – 13 Lloegr England
Yr Alban Scotland 11 – 18 Cymru Wales
Cymru Wales 25 – 7 Iwerddon Ireland

:mrgreen: