Star Wars Episodes VII VIII & IX

Talk about anything in here!
Floydy
Meddle
Star Wars Episodes VII VIII & IX

Post by Floydy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:44 pm

I thought I might re-open this thread for the 2 or 3 Star Wars fans amongst us.

Disney has released the title for Episode VII.

The Force Awakens.

There seems to be a lot of hate on the internets about this title.

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Re: Star Wars Episodes VII VII & IX

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:58 pm

There's a lot of hate around everyone on the Internet about everything. The Internet community as a whole tends to just hate stuff. I'm perfectly happy with The Force Awakens, it sounds more Star Wars-ish than The Phantom Menace did.
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:01 pm

Ah........let the haters hate! probably the same people who don't like The Endless River :lol:

I can't wait, and the name is fine with me.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago

DeepSubmergeRMM
Ummagumma

Post by DeepSubmergeRMM » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:32 am

2 or 3 Star Wars fans.. wah? I dunno, call me egocentric but Star Wars is one of those very things that I just plain have a hard time wrapping my head about somebody not liking or enjoying or appreciating on some level. It's like... why bother living?

As for the name... what's in a name? All that matters is that the movie is good.

I think it'll be decent at least. The behind the scenes stuff have given me hope that it'll be decent if not good.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:15 pm

I think the name 'The Force Awakens' makes total sense, really. After such a long time without any Jedi or Sith around, both factions are bound to make a resurgence.
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

DeepSubmergeRMM
Ummagumma

Post by DeepSubmergeRMM » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:34 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE

Trailer is up for episode 7!

JeffX
Atom Heart Mother

Post by JeffX » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:51 pm

It looks good to me.
http://jefflilland.blogspot.com

Roger Waters In The Flesh Tour, July 6th 2000 Minneapolis, Minnesota

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:00 am

I watched Star Wars IV for the first time yesterday! Was quite nice. :)
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:35 pm

It's cliche, but I do like IV, V, and VI so much better than I, II, and III, although I actually like a few parts in II and most of III to be honest.

JeffX
Atom Heart Mother

Post by JeffX » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:16 pm

I liked 3. I really enjoyed it with the exception of a couple of parts. The original trilogy has the advantage of being the original trilogy and I wasn't comparing it to anything else. Plus I grew up on those movies and they'll always have that.
http://jefflilland.blogspot.com

Roger Waters In The Flesh Tour, July 6th 2000 Minneapolis, Minnesota

Charade I Am
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Post by Charade I Am » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:02 pm

JeffX wrote:I liked 3. I really enjoyed it with the exception of a couple of parts. The original trilogy has the advantage of being the original trilogy and I wasn't comparing it to anything else. Plus I grew up on those movies and they'll always have that.
This is pretty much how I feel. But I do enjoy the prequels, even if they don't live up to the mystique of the originals.

I told myself not to get my hopes up for the new trilogy, but ugh that teaser for "The Force Awakens" got me really pumped.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:09 am

I've seen 4, or 1, or A New Hope, or the original, or whatever they call the one with the death star trench race at the end, and I've seen 6, or 3, or Return of the Jedi, or the one where Darth Vader turns into a good guy then promptly dies, and I've seen bits and pieces of 5, or 2, or The Empire Eats Broccoli, or the "I am your father" one, but I can't say I'm much of a fan of science fiction, or the classics. Sue me, or something.

Floydy
Meddle

Post by Floydy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:56 am

Artisan wrote:I've seen 4, or 1, or A New Hope, or the original, or whatever they call the one with the death star trench race at the end, and I've seen 6, or 3, or Return of the Jedi, or the one where Darth Vader turns into a good guy then promptly dies, and I've seen bits and pieces of 5, or 2, or The Empire Eats Broccoli, or the "I am your father" one, but I can't say I'm much of a fan of science fiction, or the classics. Sue me, or something.
This made me chuckle. Nice one Artisan.

DeepSubmergeRMM
Ummagumma

Re: Star Wars Episodes VII VIII & IX

Post by DeepSubmergeRMM » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:24 pm

I've been a huge science fiction fan since forever, but the appeal of Star Wars is one of those things that I believe transcends mere science fiction. The original trilogy are films that I tend to assume everybody's seen and everybody likes.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:48 pm

I liked the ones I saw, except for that garbage can scene, but I just can't invest myself into anything science fiction. I really want to love the original Star Trek series, but scifi just escapes me. Disappointing.

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:58 pm

DeepSubmergeRMM wrote:I've been a huge science fiction fan since forever, but the appeal of Star Wars is one of those things that I believe transcends mere science fiction. The original trilogy are films that I tend to assume everybody's seen and everybody likes.
I'm a big Sci-Fi fan as well and pretty much dig everything Star Wars or Star Trek. I can't recall ever running in to anyone who has seen the original trilogy.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:28 pm

quicksilver wrote:
DeepSubmergeRMM wrote:I've been a huge science fiction fan since forever, but the appeal of Star Wars is one of those things that I believe transcends mere science fiction. The original trilogy are films that I tend to assume everybody's seen and everybody likes.
I'm a big Sci-Fi fan as well and pretty much dig everything Star Wars or Star Trek. I can't recall ever running in to anyone who has seen the original trilogy.
I hope you meant "hasn't"!

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:37 am

Artisan wrote:
quicksilver wrote:
I hope you meant "hasn't"!
Yes... hasn't.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

FrowningBanana
Atom Heart Mother

Post by FrowningBanana » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:06 pm

SunShade wrote:It's cliche, but I do like IV, V, and VI so much better than I, II, and III, although I actually like a few parts in II and most of III to be honest.
This is basically my opinion. Like exactly.

VII is going to be amazing, I can feel it. It better be.
Look up. You'll find things that you never imagined you would.

Anarcho-Capitalist, political activist.
Musician, and advocate of secession and non-aggression.
News editor for Being Libertarian, because freedom matters.

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Okay I've been a fan of the original trilogy (Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi) for a long time. Then when "Episode I: The Phantom Menace" came out I was so disappointed with it that I thought the franchise ruined.

A few of my friends are Star Wars fans and love the whole thing, and I admitted (to their disgust) that I have never seen Episodes II and III, because I disliked Episode I so much and that I have no interest in the new trilogy. So this week I re-watched Episode I (still don't like it) and Episode II. I must say that Ep II held my attention more as the story was somewhat more interesting as Anakin is now an adult (or teen). I may watch Ep III tonight if I have the time.

My problem with Ep I is that the story is non-existent and it's main points could have been summarised as flashbacks. Ja Ja Binks is the most irritating CGI character ever created and I hate him with every fibre of my being.

So now that I quite enjoyed Ep II and anticipate the same for Ep III I am finding myself more curious about VII... but...

What will VII be about? Darth Vader is dead. The whole pull of the Star Wars franchise has always been Darth Vader. He was the antagonist in the original trilogy and the focus of the later trilogy. And the fact that ep VII is set 30ish years after ep VI (which happens to have been made 30ish years ago) means they can have the original cast play their original characters - which just seems like a gimmick to pull in audiences to me. I find myself wondering how can they find another Darth Vader to keep people intrigued?
Dyma Coronafeirws

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:39 pm

The premise is believable enough to keep my interest in the new trilogy. It only makes sense for the Empire to still exist, since killing a country's leader and destroying their home base doesn't just erase the country off the map. At this point I'm actually more excited for Ep8 and Ep9, since Ep7 will probably be a lot of plot building and setting up the new world.

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:58 pm

I'm not saying that the Empire should be gone, but I doubt any new antagonist will have the intrigue and popularity that Darth Vader has/had.
Dyma Coronafeirws

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:32 pm

Dyolf wrote:I'm not saying that the Empire should be gone, but I doubt any new antagonist will have the intrigue and popularity that Darth Vader has/had.
On top of that, the entire Star Wars saga was about Anakin Skywalker's destiny to bring balance to the Force. The prequels revolved around his coming-of-age and fall from grace, and the originals revolved around him coming back around and completing his fate. In a sense, it really should have ended with Anakin's death. But George Lucas had planned VII, VIII, and IX back then, so I guess he had some ideas as to what would happen after Anakin/Vader's death. That's something I am curious about in terms of a primary antagonist.

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:13 am

I love everything Star Wars, but there will never be another Darth Vader.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

Floydy
Meddle

Post by Floydy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:03 pm

I've been reading a lot about what the plot of episode VII could possibly be. Luke has been in self imposed exile because he has become so powerful in the force and with him not receiving proper training he can't control it. The character played by Adam Driver is rumoured to be Han and Leias' son. He is a collector of dark side artifacts which has lured him towards the dark side (if you have seen the teaser trailer he is the one weilding the "broadsword lightsaber"). Another rumour has it that Andy Serkis is playing a mo cap character that could be Darth Plagueis that we heard about in episode III. John Boyega, who is seen at the beginning of the teaser trailer is an Imperial Stormtrooper that has defected from the Empire. There seems to be a lot of speculation about the character that Daisy Ridley is playing. She looks to be living on Tatooine and is a junk dealer. People are saying she's Han and Leias' daughter but I think her character is more like Lukes in episode IV. There are many more rumours floating about but the ones I have mentioned seem to be more credible than the others.