Is This The Life We Really Want?

This subforum is about Roger Waters, one of the world's finest lyricists.

Re: Is This The Life We Really Want?

Postby Dyolf » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:40 am

I've listened to the album a few times now. It's better than I anticipated. I think I prefer it, overall, to Amused to Death simply because it's more stripped back, less dense and an easier listen. He's been clever on this album, using some of the old Floyd tricks to get fans hooked (the rolling bass and synths on "Picture That" scream Animals). "Déjà Vu" has grown on me a little. I can't help but wonder if the line in "When We Were Young" ("I'm still ugly and you're still fat") is a pot-shot at Gilmour - if it is then it's rather childish as David has basically just quietly done his own thing for the last decade without firing any shots at camp Roger. I think "Picture That" is the strongest song lyrically and musically on this album - sections like "Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws / Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores / Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains / Picture a leader with no fucking brains" are classic angry Roger Waters writing, bringing his music into the 21st Century with lines like "Follow me filming myself at the show / On a phone from a seat in the very front row / Follow Miss Universe catching some rays / Wish you were here in Guantanamo Bay", possibly showing Roger's dislike of modern concert goers filming shows on their phones instead of watching the show they've paid to see and the "follow Miss Universe" is clearly "follow" in the new sense of social media.
Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws
Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores
Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains
Picture a leader with no fucking brains
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:52 pm

Oh shit, I didn't realize that it was already out. I told myself I wouldn't listen to it, but I'm too much of a Floyd fan to not listen to it.
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby The Silver Lining » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:44 am

I haven't listened enough yet, but I agree with most of your points at first glance. Some people say that he used too many elements from previous Pink Floyd songs, but that's something I disagree with. The songs definitely are new, he just makes a few musical references that are maybe a tad too obvious.

This album uses a lot of acoustic guitar, which I really like. It has a very strong The Final Cut vibe.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Dyolf » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:07 am

The Silver Lining wrote:I haven't listened enough yet, but I agree with most of your points at first glance. Some people say that he used too many elements from previous Pink Floyd songs, but that's something I disagree with. The songs definitely are new, he just makes a few musical references that are maybe a tad too obvious.

This album uses a lot of acoustic guitar, which I really like. It has a very strong The Final Cut vibe.

Some of the recycled music is obvious. There's definitely some "Sheep", "Have a Cigar", "Welcome to the Machine", "Shine On" in there. The music is more stripped back and much less dense than his last album though, so I find it much easier to sit through. It's a better album than I expected and I think it'll age well.
Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws
Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores
Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains
Picture a leader with no fucking brains
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:30 pm

I did give the album a brief single listen. Although I didn't really give it my full attention, it did leave a lasting impression on me. Yeah, the album was definitely trying to sound like Animals from a musical perspective, but given that my biggest complaint with Roger's solo work was the lack of strong music, that to me is a welcome decision. His other albums (minus Radio KAOS) just felt like continuations of The Final Cut, but this one really had some good groove to it. I'm definitely going to go back and give it a few more listens, because I'm rather pleased that ol' Rog finally stepped up his music game for this.
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:13 pm

Dyolf wrote:
The Silver Lining wrote:I haven't listened enough yet, but I agree with most of your points at first glance. Some people say that he used too many elements from previous Pink Floyd songs, but that's something I disagree with. The songs definitely are new, he just makes a few musical references that are maybe a tad too obvious.

Some of the recycled music is obvious. There's definitely some "Sheep", "Have a Cigar", "Welcome to the Machine", "Shine On" in there. The music is more stripped back and much less dense than his last album though, so I find it much easier to sit through. It's a better album than I expected and I think it'll age well.

One thing that does not age well is Roger's voice. :lol:

I say that tongue-in-cheek though, because I have to say Roger puts his voice to good use. In the title song, for instance, he goes on a sort of mumbling rant that sounds great with his old & cranky voice. On the other hand, the more powerful, higher pitches parts actually sound better than they did in some of his previous work. One thing I disliked about Amused to Death and The Pros & Cons is that the vocals were recorded in a half-assed way (who cares about one badly pitched note more or less?), but that's not the case on this album.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:08 am

Roger's vocals here seemed to do fine for me, in the few brief listens I gave it. Just like his looks, his voice has gotten better with age I think.
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:08 am

His face has changed - does his voice sound less like a horse too? :P
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby The Silver Lining » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:59 am

Artisan wrote:His face has changed - does his voice sound less like a horse too? :P

This would be an adequate time for you to get the fuck out.

:lol:
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Artisan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:09 am

From what I've heard his voice has taken on a new character with age. Since he's not particularly well-known for his vocal melodies (on the songs he sings, at least), this isn't a bad thing. And there's nothing wrong with looking or sounding like a horse - a large number of frightening individuals who worship My Little Pony may be the extreme but they do highlight that horses are a valuable part of society.

I could have made a joke about him sounding hoarse - which is not derogatory, but rather a characteristic trait - but then I wouldn't have been told to get the fuck out, and what would be the fun in that? :)
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:26 am

Roger, David, Rick... they all sound(ed) rather hoarse with age. :lol:
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:14 pm

Age tends to do that to nearly everyone. So my joke is a little redundant.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby The Silver Lining » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Agreed, but I think we can all agree that Roger and David are good examples of how some people's voices age a bit better than others'.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Artisan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:25 pm

Yeah, for their age and how long they've been singing, their voices still sound very good. There's Dylan, who sounds like Tom Waits now, but he never had a pleasant voice to begin with. Roger Daltrey's voice has aged exceptionally well; he was still able to nail the scream at the end of Won't Get Fooled Again. Ditto Pete. I've hijacked this discussion again, haven't I? I shall exile myself to the Corner Of Shame.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Previous

Return to Roger Waters