Us + Them

This subforum is about Roger Waters, one of the world's finest lyricists.

Re: Us + Them

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:20 pm

With a band as large in scope and as impressive as Pink Floyd, that's not surprising. Part of Governor Kasich's presidential campaign was to reunite Pink Floyd upon winning the election (easily the most hilariously misinformed promise in political history).
Awakening - Probably Never™.
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Artisan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:27 pm

Roger will go against any president who actually does what he says; like it or not, the pig has balls.

I'll leave.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:29 pm

How awkward would it be to go to a concert of one of your favorite all-time musicians, only for that musician to turn your father into a big balloon pig and let the crowd tear it apart? :lol:
Alec Taylor

Postby quicksilver » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:53 pm

I'm debating whether or not to go see Roger in Milwaukee at the end of the month. From others I've talked with and reviews I've read, this show is basically a vehicle for his political ranting. I'm quite offended that he believes everyone has the same viewpoint as he holds. I think he's going too far with the whole "Trump is a Pig" theme ...... that alone tells me his motivation is not to give fans (such as me) a good show but rather try to indoctrinate me into his way of thinking. Last week a local radio station was giving tickets away and they had to preface the giveaway by letting people know the show is highly political. That says a lot right there and I think it's a shame.

This also hits close to home because many of my close friends are Jewish and many groups in Milwaukee are protesting the show because of his anti- Israel stance. I don't know.......
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Artisan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:31 pm

Alec said it best - no sense in spending $200 to hear him rant about what capitalism has done to the world if that's going to ruin the show for you. I'd say watch some videos of recent performances of the actual music, and decide from there whether getting to be a part of that is worth $200 (or whatever it costs) and putting up with political BS. Never mind "seeing a legend live", if you know you're not going to enjoy the show, don't bother spending the money. I passed on Dylan about a month or so for that reason - I knew I would have enjoyed it, but $60 for crap tickets versus buying five albums I knew I would get more enjoyment out of...
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby quicksilver » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:39 pm

It would be nice to sit through a show and just hear the music and nothing else. As far as Israel goes, I'm sure there are atrocities on both sides, but how does boycotting a country help the issue? The rank and file citizen (like me) just wants to hear the music and be entertained.

I was in Chicago for a run this past weekend. Running attracts all types, races, religions etc. Music is the same....... it brings people together.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Dyolf » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:29 pm

quicksilver wrote:As far as Israel goes, I'm sure there are atrocities on both sides, but how does boycotting a country help the issue?

It's supposed to be a "cultural boycott", it's actually a pretty big movement - to deny Israel access to the popular forms of art from the West. It's not going to get anywhere, especially when people like Roger are probably doing more harm than good to their cause with his ranting every time someone plays a gig there.
Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws
Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores
Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains
Picture a leader with no fucking brains
Dyolf
Animals

Postby The Silver Lining » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:47 am

I do not understand why people should have their lives boycotted because their governments are shitty. Should we all start boycotting Russia, too? What about Turkey?
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby quicksilver » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:50 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:I do not understand why people should have their lives boycotted because their governments are shitty. Should we all start boycotting Russia, too? What about Turkey?

This is true to my point and most of my angst. I suppose Roger has a right to do whatever he wants in his shows, but he chooses to fuck a huge fan base just to make his point. So, in reality, his shows are more about his stance on issues rather than the music and the fan base. This brings me to a broader issue which is why I think Gilmour was very smart. He has done a very good job of distancing himself from Roger and the baggage that comes with his viewpoints. I don't know David Gilmour and can only speculate on how he comes down on certain issues, but I can say that he doesn't let his viewpoints enter his shows at all- which I think is smart.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:10 am

I just sort of think about my own views on how I would be, I guess. I don't support the North Korean government, but if some North Korean kid found a few songs of mine and felt something from it, I'm not going to tell him to fuck off and block him from listening to it. Granted they still have access to Roger's music whether he's there or not, but still, there's sort of this responsibility he should have about it. Music is a unifying concept across all parts of the world, and in that particular part of the world, it can provide a sense of escape from the awful shit they go through on a daily basis. If anything, depriving them of that release makes them all worse off IMO.
Alec Taylor

Postby quicksilver » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Alec Taylor wrote:I just sort of think about my own views on how I would be, I guess. I don't support the North Korean government, but if some North Korean kid found a few songs of mine and felt something from it, I'm not going to tell him to fuck off and block him from listening to it. Granted they still have access to Roger's music whether he's there or not, but still, there's sort of this responsibility he should have about it. Music is a unifying concept across all parts of the world, and in that particular part of the world, it can provide a sense of escape from the awful shit they go through on a daily basis. If anything, depriving them of that release makes them all worse off IMO.

You are right and that's exactly why Kim Jong Un blocks the internet. He dictates what people read, hear, everything. Any potential glimpse of freedom is extinguished
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Floydy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:17 am

It's just been announced that Roger is coming to Australia early next year. He plays Perth Febuary 20. I had faith that he would. I'd better start saving now if I wanna buy a t-shirt and a beer at the show.
Floydy
Meddle

Postby Dyolf » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:53 pm

Floydy wrote:It's just been announced that Roger is coming to Australia early next year. He plays Perth Febuary 20. I had faith that he would. I'd better start saving now if I wanna buy a t-shirt and a beer at the show.

He said a while back that he intended to do New Zealand and Australia next year, followed by Europe. I honestly can't wait. Another gig I may have to drag my girlfriend to if my dad doesn't want to go.
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Floydy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:40 am

I just realised that he plays Perth 4 days before the 30th anniversary of when Pink Floyd played here. Pretty trippy huh? I wonder if he'd actually give a toss about that bit of trivia.
Floydy
Meddle

Postby Dyolf » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:16 pm

I got tickets to see the show in Liverpool! More than £200 but it'll be worth it!
Dyolf
Animals

Previous

Return to Roger Waters