Roger's bass technique

This subforum is about Roger Waters, one of the world's finest lyricists.

Roger's bass technique

Postby The Silver Lining » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:38 pm

Roger is quite famous for technically not being a particularly great bass guitar player. I agree with this, although I do think that he teamed up with Nick quite well to create concise, to-the-point rhythm sections.

What I want to ask though: am I the only one who notices a strong decline in Roger's bass playing during the period where he took control of the band? His bass parts on Meddle, Obscured By Clouds and Dark Side of the Moon are really superb, but on WYWH it's a bit worse, and after Animals it became really quite atrocious. On his solo albums and solo tours, I've never liked his bass playing very much either. Anyone know what's up with that...?
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Re: Roger's bass technique

Postby Artisan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:23 pm

I think he tried to fill in the gaps with his voice. But it didn't really work. I've never paid attention to the bass on anything but Money and Echoes, to be honest. There's just too much going on.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby quicksilver » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:28 pm

Honestly, I think he was focused on everything other than getting better as a bass player. I think the bass sort of got in the way of his real love of songwriting.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby The Silver Lining » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:20 pm

quicksilver wrote:Honestly, I think he was focused on everything other than getting better as a bass player. I think the bass sort of got in the way of his real love of songwriting.

Guess that's right. On The Wall he wasn't even playing much bass anymore at all.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:53 pm

He still had a strong focus on bass playing in 1974 and 1975 for sure. Live performances of "You've Got to Be Crazy" and "Raving and Drooling" still have good bass on them.
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby mabewa » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:48 am

Dave plays all the bass on side 2 of Animals, though on Sheep he's playing a part that Roger originally wrote.

Roger does play a fair bit of bass on The Wall, but Dave does take over a few times.

I like Roger's simple approach, but he's generally been the least important musician in terms of the band's sound.
mabewa
A Saucerful of Secrets

Return to Roger Waters