Roger's best album

This subforum is about Roger Waters, one of the world's finest lyricists.

Your favorite album?

The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking
42%
Radio K.A.O.S.
33%
Amused to Death
25%
Ça Ira
No votes

Total votes : 12

Re: Roger's best album

Postby DeepSubmergeRMM » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:55 am

My favorite version of KAOS is the extended version that I don't believe was ever released commercially. I feel like in the days of vinyl and early days of CD Roger's vision kept on getting compromised because the technology wasn't up to par with Rog and his crazy ideas. :)
DeepSubmergeRMM
Ummagumma

Postby JeffX » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:54 pm

I found an album titled "Project KAOS" once that had Radio KAOS mixed with his songs from When the Wind Blows. It has an extended version of Radio Waves.
http://jefflilland.blogspot.com

Roger Waters In The Flesh Tour, July 6th 2000 Minneapolis, Minnesota
JeffX
Atom Heart Mother

Postby Artisan » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:20 pm

I've yet to listen to any of his solo material. However of all the solo careers it's the one I'm most interested in. Now it's well known that my opinions about his Floyd albums are... divided, to say the least. I really don't enjoy much of The Wall. Somehow, I love The Final Cut to death, and then back to life, and then to death again. I think it's because The Wall isn't really open to interpretation, it tells a linear, clear-cut story instead of just a vague concept that I'm able to see in different ways. Animals is open to interpretation, Dark Side of the Moon is open to interpretation, and because I genuinely do care about Syd, Wish You Were Here works. The Wall... doesn't.

So I guess what I'm getting at is... are his solo albums closer to The Wall with fixed plots, or The Final Cut with a strong concept that isn't abandoned, but is viewed from many different angles? Which one would you recommend I listen to first?
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:25 pm

I'd say Radio KAOS is pretty fixed in its story, outlining the life of a magical handicapped guy who isn't Tommy and the wrath he wishes to exact on mankind.
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Artisan » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:34 pm

Right, but Tommy didn't want to exact his magical wrath on everybody. He just sort of overcame his lifelong mental block and instantaneously had a flawless grasp on the English language and the human condition. What about the other two?
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby gunnersnightmare » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:39 pm

easy, it's Amused to Death. Roger's lyrics only got better with time
gunnersnightmare
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Postby Dyolf » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:21 am

Artisan wrote:So I guess what I'm getting at is... are his solo albums closer to The Wall with fixed plots, or The Final Cut with a strong concept that isn't abandoned, but is viewed from many different angles? Which one would you recommend I listen to first?

Listen to them in order? I haven't listened to Pros and Cons in years, it never left an impression on me. I'm a bit biased toward my liking of Radio KAOS because of all the Welsh imagery throughout and Amused to Death has some great moments but it's very flawed. I've always thought it would make a great Floyd album but Roger needs a producer to rein him in. It's a looooong album and it gets tedious by the time you finish "What God Wants (Part 3)".
CYMRU AM BYTH

"O’r ynys yma yw Cymraeg, o’r pridd yma.
Iaith hynaf pobl Prydain.
A hardd yw Cymraeg."
- Prof. J. R. R. Tolkien.
Dyolf
Animals

Postby gunnersnightmare » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:27 pm

Dyolf wrote:
Artisan wrote:So I guess what I'm getting at is... are his solo albums closer to The Wall with fixed plots, or The Final Cut with a strong concept that isn't abandoned, but is viewed from many different angles? Which one would you recommend I listen to first?

I've always thought it would make a great Floyd album but Roger needs a producer to rein him in.

i dunno, i think that it's better when people get to let their ideas run wild. it probably came out exactly how he wanted it to, especially since it took him like ten years or something to make it after that weird 80s one
gunnersnightmare
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Previous

Return to Roger Waters