Live at Pompeii

This subforum is for discussions about David Gilmour, the guitar master.

Live at Pompeii

Postby Dyolf » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:00 am

You probably all know by now that David's Live at Pompeii album/DVD will be out in September. It will be available as a CD, LP, DVD, BD and deluxe box set.

The tracklist is:

1. 5 A.M.
2. Rattle That Lock
3. Faces of Stone
4. What Do You Want From Me
5. The Blue
6. The Great Gig In the Sky
7. A Boat Lies Waiting
8. Wish You Were Here
9. Money
10. In Any Tongue
11. High Hopes
12. One of These Days

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond
2. Fat Old Sun
3. Coming Back to Life
4. On an Island
5. The Girl In the Yellow Dress
6. Today
7. Sorrow
8. Run Like Hell
9. Time / Breathe (Reprise)
10. Comfortably Numb

Now I, for one, cannot fathom why David played the same songs on both nights. He should have switched between the two sets he was playing and had more to put on the DVD/BD. I mean the visuals for "Astronomy Domine" were amazing and now they'll never be seen again. Plus, if you have Live in Gdańsk you'll get a lot of repetition on here: "Shine On", "Time", "On an Island", "The Blue", "Fat Old Sun", "Coming Back to Life", "Comfortably Numb", "High Hopes"... Having said that the deluxe box set apparently has bonus video and audio so maybe other shows were filmed for additional content, but I have a funny feeling it will be more of the dull documentaries like the ones on Remember That Night and Live in Gdańsk, maybe some more Barn Jams with Rick? That'd be cool.

I, of course, have ordered the deluxe version from Amazon, at a not-too-shabby £49.99, which is cheaper than the Gdańsk boxset was back in 2008 (I think it was closer to £70).
Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws
Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores
Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains
Picture a leader with no fucking brains
Dyolf
Animals

Re: Live at Pompeii

Postby quicksilver » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:44 pm

I think the deluxe includes additional footage from South America and Poland, plus the Wider Horizons documentary.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Dyolf » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:05 pm

quicksilver wrote:I think the deluxe includes additional footage from South America and Poland, plus the Wider Horizons documentary.

Yeah, I've just seen this on his website, here. The songs from South America are "Astronomy Domine", "Us and Them", "Today", "Time / Breathe" and "Comfortably Numb". The songs from Wrocław are: "5 A.M.", "Rattle That Lock", "Dancing Right In Front of Me", "The Girl In the Yellow Dress (with Leszek Możdżer) and "In Any Tongue". There are also 4 other tour documentaries as well as the BBC's Wider Horizons documentary, which originally aired on BBC4. Not sure if it's been broadcast outside of the UK yet.

I'm a bit disappointed that the deluxe edition doesn't come with a CD of songs not performed at Pompeii (like the Gdańsk deluxe edition did). It'd be nice to have "Astronomy Domine", "Us and Them", "Dancing Right In Front of Me", "Comfortably Numb" (with the "Purple Rain" excerpt) and maybe some better renditions of songs from the album, like "One of These Days", "Rattle That Lock", "In Any Tongue" - something else he did on the Gdańsk deluxe edition. I don't get why David has put pressure on himself to deliver a good live album by only recording one or two shows. Pink Floyd live albums were recorded over multiple shows, meaning they could pick the best performances. Now David has 2 performances of each song to choose from, and no choice at all when it came to Gdańsk (and some of the performances on the bonus CD are better, like "Take a Breath" and "This Heaven"). At least is doesn't cost £300!

When I go back to work on Thursday I'll be checking to see if I'm working on the 13th September, if not, I'll be getting me some tickets for the Pompeii screening :D I might even drag the girlfriend to it.
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Dyolf » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:01 pm

Dyolf wrote:When I go back to work on Thursday I'll be checking to see if I'm working on the 13th September, if not, I'll be getting me some tickets for the Pompeii screening :D I might even drag the girlfriend to it.

It turns out that I am working... until 6:30pm... too late to get from work to a cinema in time for 7pm. I could try and use some banked hours to get the day off but I doubt they'll allow it.
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Dyolf » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:57 am

Two full-length videos from the film:

Rattle That Lock
One of These Days

Also, the EPK:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Dyolf
Animals

Postby quicksilver » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:18 pm

I will be there tonight!! can't wait.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Dyolf » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:26 pm

My copy of the deluxe edition came through the door earlier today and I'm currently watching the Blu-ray. The performance of "On an Island" is much better than when I saw David at the start of the tour, but it's still not quite as good as the 2006 tour. I still prefer the 2006 version of "Fat Old Sun" too - the organ solo/improv while Dave switches guitars doesn't really do it for me. "Sorrow" is pretty good, but nowhere near as good as on DSOT - Dave's voice just doesn't have the power it did back then.

Watching this film brings back the feelings of annoyance that the lighting was poorly used on this tour. He brought back the huge circular screen and for what? The lights on it aren't even used on his solo songs (or some Floyd songs). The only songs where the screen's lights really shine (/pun) are "One of These Days" and "Run Like Hell". Unless you have the deluxe edition and then you can include "Astronomy Domine" in that too. One thing I'm happy about though is the fact that "The Girl in the Yellow Dress" isn't on the main Pompeii show... I'll be avoiding that one forever on the bonus disc.
Dyolf
Animals

Return to David Gilmour