The Gilmour notepad

This subforum is for discussions about David Gilmour, the guitar master.

The Gilmour notepad

Postby Dyolf » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:29 pm

I thought I'd start a thread about general Gilmour stuff which may not warrant its own thread. So I'll begin:

I love this video of Dave performing "Blue Light". I'm not entirely sure what happens to his guitar but he switches them calmly and professionally without the slightest look of worry.
CYMRU AM BYTH

"O’r ynys yma yw Cymraeg, o’r pridd yma.
Iaith hynaf pobl Prydain.
A hardd yw Cymraeg."
- Prof. J. R. R. Tolkien.
Dyolf
Animals

Re: The Gilmour notepad

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:51 am

There's a few of my coworkers that are into 70s/90s rock and metal stuff that go through the "usual" Pink Floyd tracks, but have always had a passing interest in David himself as the guitarist, since they themselves are guitarists. Through my influence they're starting to delve into the deeper catalog of the band, which is a good feeling. One of my pals said that he felt David's signature style involved "pitch bending a lot of pentatonic scales", which is actually a fairly decent blanket term for the style I think.
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Artisan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:19 pm

That's the foundation of the blues. Certainly not an incorrect description, but not a particularly accurate one. Gilmour goes for melody and emotional impact over technicality most of the time, which is what sets him apart from many others otherwise similar in style. He can play fast when he needs to (Careful with that Axe at Pompeii, case in point), but tell me: would you prefer an Yngwie Malmsteen solo or the four notes from Shine On? When you can say more in four notes than four million... that's the marker of a great guitarist.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Dyolf » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:56 pm

Just stumbled upon this interview with David from 1978, mostly regarding his first solo album, but talks about various things - and doesn't seem to be much of a fan of Zeppelin.

EDIT: Inserted link :roll:
Last edited by Dyolf on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CYMRU AM BYTH

A hardd yw Cymraeg."
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Dyolf wrote:Just stumbled upon this interview with David from 1978, mostly regarding his first solo album, but talks about various things - and doesn't seem to be much of a fan of Zeppelin.

What interview, mate?
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Dyolf » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:36 pm

Alec Taylor wrote:
Dyolf wrote:Just stumbled upon this interview with David from 1978, mostly regarding his first solo album, but talks about various things - and doesn't seem to be much of a fan of Zeppelin.

What interview, mate?

Haha! I forgot the link! Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGtw-c6ER9E. I'll go back and edit the original post!
CYMRU AM BYTH

A hardd yw Cymraeg."
Dyolf
Animals

Return to David Gilmour