Weekly Song Discussion: Sorrow

This is where old, closed threads of the "Weekly Song Discussion" format are archived.

Weekly Song Discussion: Sorrow

Postby The Silver Lining » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:12 am

Whoever posts first in this thread gets to decide what this week's "Weekly Song Discussion" will be about. I will also update the thread's title then.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Re: Weekly Song Discussion: Sorrow

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:52 am

The sweet smell of a great SORROW lies over the land
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Re: Weekly Song Discussion: < tbd >

Postby The Silver Lining » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:30 am

Apart from High Hopes, I think these are David's finest lyrics. They really have the imagery that make lyrics more than just plain old storytelling.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby quicksilver » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:33 pm

Definitely in my top 3 of Gilmour led Pink Floyd songs. The Delicate Sound of Thunder version is killer.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby The Silver Lining » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:39 pm

quicksilver wrote:Definitely in my top 3 of Gilmour led Pink Floyd songs. The Delicate Sound of Thunder version is killer.

The album may very well have been named after this song's intro...
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:31 pm

This sort of has that "obligatory Gilmour ending solo", but other than that, this song is one of my favorites by the band. I'm not talking of just Gilmour Floyd, but of the entire band's catalog. The lyrics themselves aren't even a standout to me (although they're good for David lyrics). The intro riff being a single-note rendition of the riff from "Wish You Were Here" is genius, the overall timbre is still 80s without sounding too 80s, and it feels conceptually dark without sounding "try hard" or "edgy". It feels like a natural evolution of Pink Floyd into the late 80s, unlike some drivel like "A New Machine" or "Yet Another Movie".
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:22 pm

I don't hear Wish You Were Here in that riff - but it is the same riff from Signs Of Life.

Anyway. Good song (especially the "one world" harmony bit) but it's never been a song that totally blows me away when I hear it. There's a few of those on that album though. Did we already do one of these on Terminal Frost?
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Dyolf » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:54 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:Apart from High Hopes, I think these are David's finest lyrics. They really have the imagery that make lyrics more than just plain old storytelling.

The lyrics to "High Hopes" are mostly Polly's. I suspect David's contribution was the chorus. "Sorrow", in my opinion, are David's best lyrics. David doesn't rate himself as a lyricist but he's definitely better than he thinks. Take songs like "Sorrow", "Fat Old Sun", "Coming Back to Life", "No Way", "Murder", "Out of the Blue", "Near the End", "Where We Start", "Faces of Stone" and "Dancing Right In Front of Me" are all solid lyrics.

On the topic of "Sorrow" though, it's my favourite song from AMLOR, it's my favourite David lyric and the live versions on DSOT and Pulse kick ass.... AND seeing him perform it live on the RTL tour was amazing!
Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws
Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores
Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains
Picture a leader with no fucking brains
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:08 am

I've come to not like Pulse as much in retrospect, because it sounds like David doesn't give a single shit when he sings. Not a problem on his solo live albums like Gdansk, I think he was really tired of being Pink Floyd by the mid-1990s. "Sorrow" still sounds great live from that era, but David just seemed to put too much "sorrow" in his vocal delivery.
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:32 am

I agree. David's vocals on the album version are lifeless in a sort of haunting way, which I think is intentional and works very well. In the live version, it's just plain lifeless like most of the songs.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:58 pm

I always liked Pulse because of the song selection and slick production, but in retrospect, it just feels obligatory. Their hearts just aren't in it, I don't feel like. I mean, Rick was trying to give good vocal performances, but the years of drug use sort of wrecked his vocals (at least he found those low registers in time for Broken China).

Back to "Sorrow", the song just feels dynamic like the good ol' days. Lots of different things going on, with a few unique sections that give the song a lot of character. If the closing solo had gone through a few more changes it could have been way better, instead of just noodling in the same chords for four minutes.
Alec Taylor

Postby quicksilver » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:10 pm

I agree that many of the songs on Pulse are slightly uninspired with a few exceptions, but why do they record at the end of the tour? I attended two of the shows and David's voice came across very strong.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Dyolf » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:02 pm

quicksilver wrote:I agree that many of the songs on Pulse are slightly uninspired with a few exceptions, but why do they record at the end of the tour? I attended two of the shows and David's voice came across very strong.

Because the performance is tight by that point. When I saw David at the very start of the Rattle That Lock tour (September 2015) it was quite rusty. He stumbled during quite a few of the guitar solos, "On an Island" sounded terrible in comparison to the 2006 tour, Crosby and Nash fumbled their way through "Comfortably Numb"... but some of it was excellent, like "Astronomy Domine", "Fat Old Sun", "Comfortably Numb" (other than C&N), "Sorrow" and "Run Like Hell".
Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws
Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores
Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains
Picture a leader with no fucking brains
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:27 pm

I think "Sorrow" has a lot of potential for covers and remixes because it's a great moody song with a lot of room for other styles to re-interpret it.
Alec Taylor

Return to [Archive] Weekly Song Discussion