The Leweit Music Thread

Do you play music yourself? Then this is your place-to-be!
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Re: The Leweit Music Thread

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:45 pm

Silver,

I remember you saying that you've used Melodyne for vocal pitch correction before. Did you use it at all on CABW? What DAW do you use in general, and if you did use the AutoTune on your vocals, how hard was it to learn and did it change the sound of your voice?

I'm thinking about giving in and trying some sort of AutoTune myself, wanted your input on it if you have used it before.
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:04 pm

I have used Reaper as DAW, but used Melodyne's own interface for editing files. So, I actually edited the recordings inside Melodyne, saved the files, and imported those edited files into my Reaper project. It's a bit clumsy but gets the trick done.

It is relatively easy to use, but don't expect anything like AutoTune. It doesn't automatically re-pitch the sound; instead it allows you to pull the sound waves up or down, to correct the pitch yourself. It gives a lot of visual help though, so really, you should have no issues with it.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:44 pm

I've been reluctant to rely on it in the past, but one of my new idols confesses to using it all the time and embracing it as a tool. He emphasizes making the best music possible whether it's "authentic" or not, so his electronic rap-metal or whatever doesn't even use real guitars but still sounds good. My DAW is LMMS which doesn't have as good of plugins but it does have pitch correction available as a VST.

It gets tiring trying to make instrumental music when your melody-writing skills are subpar. :(
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:27 pm

I thought I had lost my original files for this, but I finally found them and I've been listening again. Digging around, hearing all my early attempts, Ocean Child without the drums, re-reading this thread... I LOVE THIS ALBUM!!!

You said you were opposed to Leysin as its own EP, but from my perspective, I would REALLY love to hear the "full" version. Even if it's 20 minutes. It could be your prog masterpiece. The "Winter" segment is beyond gorgeous (do you have the original project files for that version on SoundCloud? I'd love a full quality WAV download), and I think you could get some really cool wind-sound transitions into a piano part, then into Epiloog... Have that be the centerpiece of an EP, odds and ends you've been kicking around or stuff that didn't fit on CABW, to get you back into the spirit of music-making so you can work on Back Home (or whatever the title was - on page 4 you posted a preliminary tracklist).

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sat May 04, 2019 3:49 am

Been listening to this all day, only to discover that as of today (May 4), it's been two years since it was officially released! This still remains one of my favorite albums of all time, probably in my top ten (and I own close to a thousand!) and I'm so proud to have contributed to it in whatever manner I did. So, happy "birthday" to this beautiful, wonderful, magical album. It still gets better every time I play it.