Steven Wilson and Co.

Discussion of music by other bands and artists.
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Steven Wilson and Co.

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:50 pm

Figured I'd start a thread for this fellow.

Dude's insanely prolific and has tons of "bands" and musical projects out and about. I've always heard him revered as the sort of flag-bearer for modern progressive rock, being the man that was able to successfully marry the classic sound to modern production values. I've only recently started diving into his work, but I agree with the sentiment to an extent. He really does sound like a blend of Pink Floyd, King Crimson, and Yes most of all, with some krautrock and electronic stuff thrown in. I like that he's also pretty accessible even when being proggy, because that's a hard balance to achieve.

So far, I've listened to Porcupine Tree's Up the Downstair and The Sky Moves Sideways, and his solo albums Grace for Drowning and The Raven That Refused to Sing. All four are pretty good, but I like his solo two more so far. The PT albums sound very Floydian, almost like The Endless River with more edge and vocals. Those two solo albums sound like humble renditions of KC and Yes, without sounding like imitations.

I don't know if anyone else here listened to him or his projects, but if not I recommend him highly. As far as I'm concerned he fits right in with the prog pantheon without sounding like a cheap copy.
"And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?"

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Re: Steven Wilson and Co.

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:59 pm

Alright, now that I've listened to all of Porcupine Tree's and Steven Wilson's material obsessively, I can say without a doubt that this combo is essential for Pink Floyd fans. He doesn't sound like them that much (except for early PT), but he hits the same emotional nerves as Floyd the way most other bands can't. Floydian recommendations would be:

Porcupine Tree
-Up the Downstair / Staircase Infinities
-Voyage 34
-The Sky Moves Sideways
-Signify
-Metanoia

Steven Wilson
-The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Songs)
-Hand. Cannot. Erase.

The rest of the material is all great too, but I feel like the selection above is a good link to Pink Floyd.
"And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?"