Roger Waters Us + Them tour. Perth 20/2/2018.

This subforum is about Roger Waters, one of the world's finest lyricists.

Roger Waters Us + Them tour. Perth 20/2/2018.

Postby Floydy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:54 pm

Just Got home about an hour ago from the concert. And what a concert it was. I thought he was going to have a hard time topping The Wall as his best concert tour that he has ever done (or that I have seen any way) but I think he has. The seat I had was right at the top, as far as you can go. Sherpa's were waiting for us at about the half way mark to take us the rest of the way. I'm not kidding, behind me was a wall. I was also kinda facing the right hand side of the stage and had a speaker tower in my line of sight but that disappeared amongst the light show, and during the second half I hardly knew they were there. The sound was impeccable. it was loud enough to make the place rumble but I walked out and my ears weren't ringing. I've taken a bunch of photos as well. I'll need to go through them and sort out the best ones to share with you guys. Give me a day or two and I'll post them for you. All in all it was a terrific concert and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. If this is his last tour then he is certainly going out in style.
Floydy
Meddle

Re: Roger Waters Us + Them tour. Perth 20/2/2018.

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:50 am

Did he use prerecorded audio for the vocals to help himself out or did he get out there and belt away all on his own? Kudos if he did, it sounds like he really strains himself to sing as he gets older. Him and David both.
I know the forum has had its highs and lows, but I think it's quickly approaching its final sleep... no point coming around when I'm basically talking to myself for weeks at a time, huh?
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Floydy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:04 am

It sounded like he sang. Although it seemed that most of the songs were sung by David Gilmour (not THE David Gilmour, someone else, probably Jon Carin) He sounded good, really good.
Floydy
Meddle

Postby Dyolf » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:43 pm

Alec Taylor wrote:Did he use prerecorded audio for the vocals to help himself out or did he get out there and belt away all on his own? Kudos if he did, it sounds like he really strains himself to sing as he gets older. Him and David both.

Where has this come from? I've been seeing rumours around the Internet that Roger has been miming on-stage, which I highly doubt. He mimes to the pre-recorded shouting "You! Yes you! Stand still laddie!" but that's not singing. The few videos I've seen of Roger performing on this tour he's definitely singing - although, like Floydy says, most of the songs were originally sung by David, and are now sung by Carin or others. Is the guy who sang David's parts on The Wall not a part of this tour?
CYMRU AM BYTH

"O’r ynys yma yw Cymraeg, o’r pridd yma.
Iaith hynaf pobl Prydain.
A hardd yw Cymraeg."
- Prof. J. R. R. Tolkien.
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:39 am

I did a Google search about Roger miming along to songs and tons of links and videos came up showing it, although Roger himself hasn't come out and said that he does this (as far as I know). I did see a video showing how his vocal performances of "In The Flesh?" from two different shows that were a year apart were virtually identical, down to the little inflections of the voice that would be really hard to replicate exactly, no matter how hard you practice it. From what I can actually tell, it seems like a pre-recorded vocal track from a rehearsal or something plays during the show, but Roger sings anyway so that he's still doing it live but there's a backup just in case.

I didn't really think this was news, I thought everyone knew that Roger tended to use pre-recorded vocals to carry himself through his live shows.

EDIT: As an afterthought, this applies to older tours, not the current one to the best of my knowledge. Mainly those songs that were originally written and recorded when Roger as younger. I can't imagine he'd need that kind of help for the songs he just put out, since they were made with his current vocal range in mind.
I know the forum has had its highs and lows, but I think it's quickly approaching its final sleep... no point coming around when I'm basically talking to myself for weeks at a time, huh?
Alec Taylor

Postby Floydy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:02 pm

Dyolf wrote:
Alec Taylor wrote:Did he use prerecorded audio for the vocals to help himself out or did he get out there and belt away all on his own? Kudos if he did, it sounds like he really strains himself to sing as he gets older. Him and David both.

Where has this come from? I've been seeing rumours around the Internet that Roger has been miming on-stage, which I highly doubt. He mimes to the pre-recorded shouting "You! Yes you! Stand still laddie!" but that's not singing. The few videos I've seen of Roger performing on this tour he's definitely singing - although, like Floydy says, most of the songs were originally sung by David, and are now sung by Carin or others. Is the guy who sang David's parts on The Wall not a part of this tour?

I'm pretty sure he had the guy that sang Davids Parts on his The Wall Tour there. There was some miming for the pre-recrded stuff but I'm sure it was him singing his parts, especially his newer stuff. I saw my Dr the day after the concert. He's a PF fan from way back. I told him about the concert,and as we were walking out of his office he said fuck! I said do you regret not going now? He turned around to me and sadly said yeah lol. Today, as I type this, 30 years ago I was watching Pink Floyd play so it's been a pretty auspicious week. You're in for one hell of a spectacle Dyolf.
Floydy
Meddle

Postby Alec Taylor » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:15 am

The tour kicked off in Kansas City but I couldn't afford $200 USD for nosebleed seats. I know Roger is a sincerely good person at heart, but what a price for being against capitalism. LOL
Alec Taylor

Postby Floydy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:02 pm

I paid just under. $100au for my tickets. Worth every cent.
Floydy
Meddle

Postby Artisan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:20 pm

Wow. That's only like $70 here. He must really hate the US, haha.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Floydy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:54 am

I had to wait awhile for the prices to come down. My seat was originally $150au not including all the bells and whistles.
Floydy
Meddle

Return to Roger Waters