Obscured by Clouds 2016 mix vs 1972 mix

Discussion about Pink Floyd's albums, concerts, films, etc. go here.

Obscured by Clouds 2016 mix vs 1972 mix

Postby Dyolf » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:11 pm

So over the last few days I've dug out The Early Years 1965–1972 and Discovery to compare the two mixes. I've seen a few reviews online which give pretty mixed conclusions. The remix was done, for some unknown reason, for inclusion in the Early Years box. I have no idea why - it's the only complete album in there and I think that all the albums preceding it are probably more worthy of being remixed.

Anyway... the new mix, in my opinion, is actually better than the original. I'm comparing the 2016 mix with the 2011 remaster of the 1972 mix as appears in the Discovery box. The mix seems "wider" through headphones, the guitar solos sound punchier, the keyboards are clearer and the overall sound is less mirky than it was originally.

If you particularly like Obscured by Clouds it kinda makes the 1972: Obfusc/ation set worth the ~£33 seeing as you get a polished OBC, Live at Pompeii in 5.1 and on CD (though I don't really like the stereo mix on CD) as well as some other stuff like the Roland Petit ballet, some live videos from Brighton and some interviews with Dave and Roger about making Obscured by Clouds. If you're not much of a OBC fan then £33 is a lot to pay to have Pompeii in 5.1.
Gwyrdd yw'r lliw.
Dyolf
Animals

Re: Obscured by Clouds 2016 mix vs 1972 mix

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:55 pm

Well the entire The Early Years boxset is now on Spotify for free (and no ads if you use an ad blocker :lol: ), so I'll have to compare the two. I hope the new mix is better, because the original album always sounded a bit muddied up. Probably because it was made in such a small amount of time.
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Artisan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:10 am

I will have to give it a more honest listen. The original mix sounded murky, but to my ears, the remix (or at least, what I heard of it - I think just The Gold It's In The) sounded really unpleasant, much moreso than the original mix. It's been a long time since I listened but I distinctly remember the hi-hat being unnecessarily pronounced, and the rest of the mix sounded like it got a really overdone treble boost. It sounded less muddy, but far too shrill for my taste. But this is going on memory from whenever it was first released, so I'll have to listen again.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Dyolf » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:15 pm

Artisan wrote:I will have to give it a more honest listen. The original mix sounded murky, but to my ears, the remix (or at least, what I heard of it - I think just The Gold It's In The) sounded really unpleasant, much moreso than the original mix. It's been a long time since I listened but I distinctly remember the hi-hat being unnecessarily pronounced, and the rest of the mix sounded like it got a really overdone treble boost. It sounded less muddy, but far too shrill for my taste. But this is going on memory from whenever it was first released, so I'll have to listen again.

It's not perfect, but, on the whole, I think it's better than the original.
Gwyrdd yw'r lliw.
Dyolf
Animals

Return to Band Discussion