Long downtime

News and updates about the forum and website will be posted here.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Long downtime

Post by The Silver Lining » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:02 pm

Hey guys

Let me start this post off with an apology. I can ramble on about how I have been busy due to work & travels, and while all of that is true, it does not really excuse the fact that I didn't fix our forum until today.

What went wrong: in November I got a notification from our host that they'd be automatically upgrading our version of PHP (the language in which this forum is coded). Since this version is incompatible with the old database driver we used, this automatically made the forum unusable. I quickly found a quick 'n' dirty way to fix this, but then ran into a different error. I rolled everything back, disabled the board, and was out of ideas for how to fix it.

Today Floydy (and later Alec) sent me a message to remind me about the issue. When I googled the problems I had faced earlier, it turned out that somebody else had faced the same issue, and he wrote a pretty good guide on how to upgrade in a risk-free way. Cue a few hours of backing everything up, deleting the entire forum (I kid you not) and reinstalling it, and voilà: we are back online.

One issue we still have: the old "dark" layout of the forum does not work anymore due to the updated code. I will find a new theme that looks similar, and install it in the upcoming days.

Again, sorry everyone. I will make sure this does not happen again.

Shine on,
Arno
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Floydy
Meddle

Re: Long downtime

Post by Floydy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:43 am

Yo Arno!

No need to apologize mate, we've all been busy I suppose. I just hopped on to update you guys on my situation and see how everyone was going.

I sat down a couple of days ago and listened to a few Floyd albums and got a bit nostalgic. It's amazing how Pink Floyd always seems to put me in such a calm state.

Take care and good health to everyone.

Floydy.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:13 am

Good to hear back from you. When you do coding for a living, having to do coding on the side gets to be a bit tedious.

Perhaps portentously, I had dental surgery today and during the surgery got into a conversation/mini-argument with the dentist about progressive rock. Yes, it must be today! (The day I'm knocked out for 90% of it.)

Anyway good to know we're back. Looks like it's easier to see when we have messages, too! (And the bots appear to be back as well, ugh.)

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:03 pm

Most of the time the forums were down, I was on a mental health hiatus from the internet anyway. :lol:
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:43 pm

I'm glad the place is up and running again. It was literally yesterday that I set up a forum at floydians.boards.net and asked Alec to help to bring the members there in an attempt to keep Floydians going. It's locked now, but if this place is ever dies for some reason, it's always an option.
Y Chwe Gwlad 2019 The Six Nations 2019

Ffrainc France 19 – 24 Cymru Wales
Yr Eidal Italy 15 – 26 Cymru Wales
Cymru Wales 21 – 13 Lloegr England
Yr Alban Scotland 11 – 18 Cymru Wales
Cymru Wales 25 – 7 Iwerddon Ireland

:mrgreen:

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:01 pm

I heard about it from Alec as well. At that point I had already done most work for the upgrade so I decided to just finish everything then.

Sorry about the fortunate/unfortunate timing (depending on how you look at it) -- I hope you did not put in too much work to save my ass. :)
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:23 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:01 pm
I heard about it from Alec as well. At that point I had already done most work for the upgrade so I decided to just finish everything then.

Sorry about the fortunate/unfortunate timing (depending on how you look at it) -- I hope you did not put in too much work to save my ass. :)
Not really, ProBoards is all WYSIWYG building and completely free, so it was easy to set up.
Y Chwe Gwlad 2019 The Six Nations 2019

Ffrainc France 19 – 24 Cymru Wales
Yr Eidal Italy 15 – 26 Cymru Wales
Cymru Wales 21 – 13 Lloegr England
Yr Alban Scotland 11 – 18 Cymru Wales
Cymru Wales 25 – 7 Iwerddon Ireland

:mrgreen:

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:07 pm

The timing of it all really is a bit funny :lol: