The venting thread

Talk about anything in here!
Dyolf
Animals

The venting thread

Post by Dyolf » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:15 pm

Many things piss me off on an almost daily basis. This morning I awoke to see the following tweet from English newspaper, The Sunday Times, tweeted yesterday:

"Should Wales continue to support the teaching of Welsh in schools?"https://twitter.com/thesundaytimes/stat ... 3544139776

How the f- is this an okay question to ask in a daily newspaper? The thing is, the UK's England-centric media hate the fact that the Welsh language still exists, that it is still spoken. An English "journalist" named Rod Liddle (who works for the same paper) also mocked the Welsh language last year. It is, apparently, acceptable to use this type of language towards Wales despite the fact that if it were targeted at muslim communities, jewish communities, gypsy communities or even other nations like France or Spain, it would never have gone to print. Why is it acceptable to tell Welsh people that their language is somehow (and absurdly) inferior to another just because it's in an English newspaper?
Pencampwriaeth y Chwe Gwlad 2020 The Six Nations Championship 2020

Wales v Italy
Ireland v Wales
Wales v France
England v Wales
Wales v Scotland

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Re: The venting thread

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:18 pm

I'm not even surprised. There's been a strange resurgence in nationalism in the past decade, and it takes some really weird forms sometimes. I could see maybe schools in other parts of the commonwealth (did I use the correct term?) not teaching Welsh, but in Wales itself? That's absurd. Culture is an important thing to cherish and preserve, letting it fade away is a shame. Cities, technologies, research, all can be replicated or rebuilt. Culture can never really be brought back the same way once it's gone.
"And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?"

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:32 pm

Man, I feel you. The French used this tactic to eliminate the Dutch language from their Northern region, and it worked. A great asset of culture and history completely erased from everyday life, for absolutely no reason. I'm not even French, but as a Dutch speaker this pisses me off immensely.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:51 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:32 pm
Man, I feel you. The French used this tactic to eliminate the Dutch language from their Northern region, and it worked. A great asset of culture and history completely erased from everyday life, for absolutely no reason. I'm not even French, but as a Dutch speaker this pisses me off immensely.
Man wtf. I guess we had something similar here with the purging and Americanizing of the Native Americans over the years. Hell, even today there are Native American reservations in danger of being taken back by the government. You'd think these issues would be over in 2019. :(
"And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?"