The Verdant Stars

Do you play music yourself? Then this is your place-to-be!
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

The Verdant Stars

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:36 am

Good evening, Floydians!

My fiancée Madison and I decided some time ago to team up as songwriters. She has a much better ear for melody than I could ever hope to imagine, and knows how to reel in my more overblown pretensions. Adding to this, our very own Artisan has started lending a hand at making sure our music mixes sound much better than before. With my long tenure as a self-made musician, Madi's pedigree as the daughter of a KC blues/jazz pianist, and Artisan's stellar ear for audio (just check out Silver's CABW for proof!), we are The Verdant Stars.

Although most of the song ideas and the instrumental recordings are my own, the work from both Madi and Artisan has made the material I have planned much more than I could ever do on my own. I didn't feel comfortable claiming credit for their invaluable contributions, so this is my compromise. There is already a single out under our name, "Pretension", but it's basically a solo effort of mine and will be redone in the future with their involvement.

Our true "band debut" has been finalized for the most part, and should see a release soon. It's very Floydian in its nature, being an original piece about the ruins of Pompeii that calls back to some of the songs Pink Floyd performed there, but with modern twists. I'm very excited for this new phase of making music, because Madi and Artisan have not only made me a better musician, but they serve as anchors that allow me to stay focused and determined to finish the projects I have often become discouraged from.

So stay tuned, and thanks for watching us all grow to this moment!
"And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?"

The Silver Lining
Animals

Re: The Verdant Stars

Post by The Silver Lining » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:24 am

Holy damn, this is pretty exciting. :O
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:28 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:24 am
Holy damn, this is pretty exciting. :O
Thanks! I'm hoping this is the real deal for me. They've both been great support for me throughout the years. Artisan was actually a sort of "ghost co-writer" on the old SunShade song "Megalopolis". The upcoming song had really great input from my two bandmates here, so it's much more polished and refined than what I could have ever done alone. If it turns out as great as I think it will, this could be the beginning of something really fun!

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:29 pm

While I work on the artwork and final mix for the upcoming song, I'll post a link to the "debut" track of the band.

The appropriately named track "Pretension" sums up my main mantra towards songwriting, it would seem. This song isn't really a band effort, it's just me on here. The original mix on YouTube is a bit rough, but with Artisan's tutelage, I've got a much better version available on Bandcamp. Because I made this song alone, it sounds like my usual nonsense and nothing at all like what we've been working on together. The song was originally written for Discomposure however long ago that was, so here it is finally (I guess).

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:21 pm

-NEW SONG: SLEEPING STADIUM-

A track dedicated to the people who died in Pompeii that night, two millennia ago. Inspired by the music Pink Floyd made in the ruins to an audience of lost spirits.

Had a lot of fun making this one, the group dynamic really helped! Madi's songwriting contributions and Artisan's expert ear made this much greater than I ever could have alone. I'm looking forward to making more music in the future together. Can't say that I have big plans as of yet except for my still-in-progress Wildlife Missouri (a solo project), but I'm hopeful.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:38 pm