Yes

Discussion of music by other bands and artists.

Which is your favourite Yes album?

Yes
No votes
Time and a Word
No votes
The Yes Album
50%
Fragile
No votes
Close to the Edge
50%
Tales from Topographic Oceans
No votes
Relayer
No votes
Going for the One
No votes
Tormato
No votes
Drama
No votes
No votes
Big Generator
No votes
ABWH
No votes
Union
No votes
Talk
No votes
Keys to Ascension / Keys to Ascension 2 / Keystudio
No votes
Open Your Eyes
No votes
The Ladder
No votes
Magnification
No votes
Fly from Here
No votes
Heaven & Earth
No votes

Total votes : 2

Re: Yes

Postby Dyolf » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:41 pm

Drama is definitely the best of the non-Anderson albums; Fly from Here is okay and Heaven & Earth is just awful. Basically though Fly from Here could be seen as Drama II as "Fly from Here" began life as a song from the Drama sessions and was performed on the Drama Tour, as "We Can Fly There from Here" (albeit a much shorter version). I love "Into the Lens", not so keen on the Buggles' re-working of it as "I am a Camera" though.
CYMRU AM BYTH

"O’r ynys yma yw Cymraeg, o’r pridd yma.
Iaith hynaf pobl Prydain.
A hardd yw Cymraeg."
- Prof. J. R. R. Tolkien.
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:59 pm

I know the forum has had its highs and lows, but I think it's quickly approaching its final sleep... no point coming around when I'm basically talking to myself for weeks at a time, huh?
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby quicksilver » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:51 pm

Sad, Sad, Sad............ A great musician for sure.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby FrowningBanana » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:59 pm

RIP Chris Squire.. You will be missed.

Been listening to Relayer and Going for the One all week.

Ironically, the night before his passing, my father - on a whim - decided it would be fun to go record store shopping. So I went, and I got a bunch of things, including a promotional copy of Drama on vinyl (with the sticker still on it, and the gold stamp) and a vinyl copy of Relayer.

I'm too lazy to go take a picture and try to figure out how to upload it using my phone, so here's an identical copy I found on a google search:

Just the thought of being so in a Yes mood lately, and just buying yes albums right before Squire's passing... it's just amazing.

My dad also got this 3 vinyl Union Live new boxset by some offshoot british company called 'let them eat vinyl' - - this pressing is superior to the old 2011 cd in every way. This sounds so much more dynamic, and it's an amazing pressing for a non-official boxset. It's amazing, and only between 50-70 bucks. Amazing packaging too.

Look up. You'll find things that you never imagined you would.

Anarcho-Capitalist, political activist.
Musician, and advocate of secession and non-aggression.
News editor for Being Libertarian, because freedom matters.
FrowningBanana
Atom Heart Mother

Postby Artisan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:41 pm

It's creepy how these coincidences happen right? For a period I was afraid to listen to any new music because right when I started getting into a band one of its members would die. Jack Bruce, Bobby Keys, there were more. I suppose I feel a bit relieved knowing that it doesn't just happen to me, though that's a pretty bad thought to have. Very sad to hear of Squire's passing, I'm not a fan of Yes, but he was a very talented musician. Rest in peace.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Dyolf » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:13 am

The world's two greatest bass players have now gone to the great gig in the sky; John Entwistle and Chris Squire. It's a very sad time, and for someone of my generation (I'm 28) this is going to happen more and more. I may have to take a week off work when Gilmour passes.
CYMRU AM BYTH

A hardd yw Cymraeg."
Dyolf
Animals

Postby quicksilver » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:55 pm

Dyolf wrote:The world's two greatest bass players have now gone to the great gig in the sky; John Entwistle and Chris Squire. It's a very sad time, and for someone of my generation (I'm 28) this is going to happen more and more. I may have to take a week off work when Gilmour passes.

That will be a tough pill for me to swallow. I've been a fan a David Gilmour since 1977 and he feels like family to me, as akward as that sounds.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Dyolf » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:46 pm

So for anyone here who's a fan of Yes, but not so much a fan of the current Yes line-up there is a glimmer of light in the near future in the form of Anderson Rabin Wakeman! Yes, these three Yes alumni will be releasing their debut (?) album in the autumn and will be touring north America through Autumn/Winter 2016 and Europe in early 2017! According to Jon Anderson they'll be playing a great deal of 90125!
CYMRU AM BYTH

A hardd yw Cymraeg."
Dyolf
Animals

Postby quicksilver » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:47 pm

I like this version of Yes. Trevor Rabin injected some life into the band and made it a bit more radio friendly for masses. I would definitely go see them if they came to my area.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Dyolf » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:35 pm

quicksilver wrote:I like this version of Yes. Trevor Rabin injected some life into the band and made it a bit more radio friendly for masses. I would definitely go see them if they came to my area.

Anderson Rabin Wakeman - An Evening of Yes Music and More Tour Dates
CYMRU AM BYTH

A hardd yw Cymraeg."
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Dyolf » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:30 pm

For anyone interested in the ARW band, their tour kicked off in Orlando, FL last night with a pretty epic setlist, even if I am a bit disappointed with the lack of 80s Yes songs (only three and all from 90125). But still, their rendition of "Awaken" was amazing. I can't wait to see them in March!
CYMRU AM BYTH

A hardd yw Cymraeg."
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:10 pm

So I've been taking time to get more acquainted with Yes. I've gotten through The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge, Tales from Topographic Oceans, Relayer, and 90125 (with Going for the One next on my list), and my appreciation for the band has increased significantly. I had liked Fragile for the longest time anyway, but the other works (except Relayer) started to get under my skin too. Some of my favorite Yes songs right now are "Heart of the Sunrise", "Close to the Edge", "The Fish", "Yours Is No Disgrace", "The Revealing Science of God", and "Owner of a Lonely Heart" (blegh).
I know the forum has had its highs and lows, but I think it's quickly approaching its final sleep... no point coming around when I'm basically talking to myself for weeks at a time, huh?
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Previous

Return to Music Discussion