The College/Career Thread

Talk about anything in here!

Re: The College/Career Thread

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:49 am

It's not a new phenomena, people have been taking advantage of others since the dawn of humanity. Everything just seems like it's become more of a problem in the modern era because we now have access to so much more information. Earthquakes, natural disasters, wars, all that stuff, is happening in more or less the same frequency as before, we just hardly ever heard about it before the information age because no one gave a shit.

I honestly just skate by at my jobs, act like a big slacker idiot, and just get the job done right above the bare minimum. I used to go all out at first, but that led to employers taking advantage of my work ethic and coworkers resenting me for making leaps and bounds within the company structure within weeks that they themselves couldn't achieve in months or even years. It's just easier to just keep a low profile and not stand out. It's easier when I constantly switch between days and nights at my current job. By day, I work side-by-side with my manager and we jest and slack together, but by night, I take on the entire week's workload in a matter of four hours and leave the place in great shape. Then I proceeded to stand around and write music in my notebook.
I know the forum has had its highs and lows, but I think it's quickly approaching its final sleep... no point coming around when I'm basically talking to myself for weeks at a time, huh?
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Artisan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:21 pm

Yeah. I've had that happen to me. It's a shame that you can't be who you really are without people trying to use that to their own advantage. I can't really keep a "low profile" because I tower over everybody, but I rarely talk and I just stay out of peoples' way. It sucks.

That said, if I worked in a CD store, I would literally not be able to give it any less than 100% and I honestly wouldn't care if people took advantage of that because I love working with CDs so much.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:31 am

A huge job market has recently opened up in the St. Joseph, Omaha, Kansas City, and St. Louis areas that will be of great benefit to me, but it presents me with a moral conflict.

These jobs all revolve around enforcing government regulations on either private businesses.

God damn do I hate government regulations on private businesses, it's an oppression of our basic freedoms to life, liberty, and property. Then again, student loan debt is intense, and I could really use a job that pays me $40,000-$50,000 a year (compared to the almost $7500 a year I've been making since 2014). But being "the man" when I despite "the man" is just so compromising of my personal values. But I guess my personal values also include "money over values, I need to be rich before I'm ever happy again", so maybe not so bad?

I'm going to be a real life Ron Swanson that's for sure. People will ask me what I'm doing, and I'll get to say "nothing, because I work for the government". :lol:
I know the forum has had its highs and lows, but I think it's quickly approaching its final sleep... no point coming around when I'm basically talking to myself for weeks at a time, huh?
Alec Taylor

Postby quicksilver » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Alec Taylor wrote:A huge job market has recently opened up in the St. Joseph, Omaha, Kansas City, and St. Louis areas that will be of great benefit to me, but it presents me with a moral conflict.

These jobs all revolve around enforcing government regulations on either private businesses.

God damn do I hate government regulations on private businesses, it's an oppression of our basic freedoms to life, liberty, and property. Then again, student loan debt is intense, and I could really use a job that pays me $40,000-$50,000 a year (compared to the almost $7500 a year I've been making since 2014). But being "the man" when I despite "the man" is just so compromising of my personal values. But I guess my personal values also include "money over values, I need to be rich before I'm ever happy again", so maybe not so bad?

I'm going to be a real life Ron Swanson that's for sure. People will ask me what I'm doing, and I'll get to say "nothing, because I work for the government". :lol:

I agree with you 100% regarding the government regs on private business for the most part. I'm in an industry where I deal quite often with private chemical processing facilities and obviously have to follow federal and state policy as to hazardous material safety etc, but is a no-brainer. The Government has its sticky fingers into everything particularly the last 8 years and with legislation like the Dodd-Frank act, US companies are handcuffed and just can't compete with internationally on so many fronts. Anyhow, if you get an opportunity to interview for one of those jobs you do it in a heartbeat no question. worry about philosophy later.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:44 pm

quicksilver wrote:
Alec Taylor wrote:A huge job market has recently opened up in the St. Joseph, Omaha, Kansas City, and St. Louis areas that will be of great benefit to me, but it presents me with a moral conflict.

I agree with you 100% regarding the government regs on private business for the most part. I'm in an industry where I deal quite often with private chemical processing facilities and obviously have to follow federal and state policy as to hazardous material safety etc, but is a no-brainer. The Government has its sticky fingers into everything particularly the last 8 years and with legislation like the Dodd-Frank act, US companies are handcuffed and just can't compete with internationally on so many fronts. Anyhow, if you get an opportunity to interview for one of those jobs you do it in a heartbeat no question. worry about philosophy later.

The positions that have suddenly blossomed into existence in KC are all for environmental consultants. Basically, I'd be going around slapping wrists for "hurting the environment". I put that in quotes because it's a very loose term. My car won't pass inspection in Missouri because it "hurts the environment" (it has an exhaust leak), even though it's a fully functioning car with no major issues. That's why I license my car in Kansas where there are no inspections. It's one thing to go around telling a company "hey, don't dump yellow cake uranium into the Missouri River you fuckheads", but another to say "you need to adopt this policy which will reduce your profits by 20% and lay off half of your crew because we say it's bad for the environment".

I'm all about caring for the environment, but it just gets ridiculous the steps people take to try and "protect" it. Most of them are just feel-good measures that actually don't do jack shit to help the environment but do wonders for ruining the job market. I don't want to be "that guy" with my job, but for the money they're offering, I think I can just bite the bullet and make money by being a hippy with authority.
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:18 pm

I'd say I'm against regulations, but then I'd really be speaking against my own business. A big part of consultancy is the following:
Step 1: Be hired by authorities (national government, European Commission, etc) and give advice on how certain ideas can be molded into feasible laws.
Step 2: Gather a lot of knowledge along the way.
Step 3: Acquire a lot of clients, because corporations now have to change their IT systems in order to abide by the newly passed laws.

I am not joking. This trick works even better for auditing firms such as Deloitte.

Sadly, that unethical shit is just part of the IT sector. There's also this "digital disruption" mantra that basically means "If you do your job well, you will cause people to lose their jobs", and my employer made sure to tell everyone to either live with that fact or find a different career. Innovation always entails that corporations can do more with fewer people.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:22 pm

I hate that. I don't want to cost people their jobs under any circumstances whatsoever unless they're troublesome employees that are hurting their employers or are otherwise committing any sort of criminal activity. I've just seen too many people down here in the working class get canned just because some sort of higher power swept in and slapped a bunch of rules on their jobs that the manager couldn't keep up with. Regulation, to me, is just downright devilish.

I don't mind the regulations that we need to keep things running smoothly and ethically, because there are some business owners that would probably be more than happy to pay women 25 cents an hour or dump oil into some farmer's fields. But I don't want to hurt peoples' livelihoods. And we all know that when you mix government and the environment these days, you're bound to stir up some negative emotions with people. No one likes the government getting involved with shit, much less with it's ecological in nature. :\
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:27 pm

I hate to say it, but take the job. You've been in utter financial unrest for what, three years now? I totally get your conundrum and I would feel the same way, and as much as I hate money, let's be real, turning down a job because it clashes with your ethical beliefs is not going to help you in any way, nor is it going to convince anybody in that position that what they're doing is stupid/wrong/unethical in and of itself/whatever. In other words, as much as we all want to believe otherwise, nobody cares about what's right, they care about what pays. Rejecting something that pays for being wrong is right - and thus nobody cares.

I'm trying to put this into words concisely. Basically, take the job in spite of all its flaws because you need the money and it's not like anything drastic would change whether you did or didn't take it. It sucks seeing the Fuckhead Brigade of Maryville dick you around for some cosmically unknowable reason; what I'm advising goes against everything I stand for, but dammit, nowadays if you don't have money you may as well not exist. And I (and all of us here) want you to exist. There, is that the worst way I could have possibly worded that? Well, I could have removed all the vowels and punctuation and replaced "you" with "u", but in terms of actual wording, no, I don't think that can be topped.

Maybe look for a counselor or something like that to help you cope with the constant struggle "being a bad person vs. being a person". I don't know that I would be of any help considering I feel the same way as you, as great of a counselor as I would undoubtedly make. :?
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:02 pm

I should clarify that I haven't applied for, been interviewed for, or been offered any of these positions. It's just that in the past month there's been a sudden growth in some of these markets. I've also gotten a bit of advisement towards careers that I'm qualified for with my degree and I've found some career paths that I didn't know I could do (like a logistics and distribution manager). I do plan on getting out of Maryville ASAP, but I am prone to slipping into mental instability if I feel like life isn't headed the right direction for me.

I mean, I'm already there, but you know, it's hard to justify a good salary to a mental illness when it tells me that I'm doing the Devil's work.
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:46 pm

Oh. I misread the post then. Move to NC! Haha. I have my shitty home studio, I'll gladly take a year and a half to master your stuff which really needs no further tweaking. :p
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby The Silver Lining » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:49 am

Artisan wrote: master your stuff which really needs no further tweaking. :p

I'm seeing a pattern here. I think Artisan really wants to master music, but at the same time wants nothing more than to leave it exactly as it is. :D
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:04 am

It's like how I need to take a break from making music to focus on my professional career, but the only way I can handle the stress of trying to focus on my professional career is by making music. I need a side career that's less time consuming.
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:13 am

Oh man, I get you. Playing the piano is my number 1 way of blowing off steam. I don't do it often anymore, but I could never say "welp, not enough time in my life, I'm gonna have to entirely ditch my piano". Just not going to work.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:34 am

My music predicament now is:

>I need to stop making music for a while to focus on my career
>Whoops I just drafted up a 31-track concept album
>Whoops I created a 6-track EP
>How am I going to find time to do this when I need to find a new job?
>Oh shit, I need to find a job, too much stress!
>Oh I know, I'll make another alb-... FUCK ME
Alec Taylor

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu May 31, 2018 10:16 pm

Proud to say that I am able to put my college degree to use after only 18 months of post-graduation. Pretty good here in the States. I'll get to be an environmental scientist specializing in hazardous material response. Gonna go make the world a cleaner place and save trees and whatnot.
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:38 am

That's great, Alec. :)
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Dyolf » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:51 am

I have an assessment for a new job on Monday. It's just a day where I go and they assess my mathematical, English, Welsh and critical thinking skills, before an actual interview at a later date, if I pass.
CYMRU AM BYTH

"O’r ynys yma yw Cymraeg, o’r pridd yma.
Iaith hynaf pobl Prydain.
A hardd yw Cymraeg."
- Prof. J. R. R. Tolkien.
Dyolf
Animals

Postby The Silver Lining » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:29 am

Good luck, Dyolf! I like that they check your English and Welsh skills. Should be no issue for you. :)
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Dyolf » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:48 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:Good luck, Dyolf! I like that they check your English and Welsh skills. Should be no issue for you. :)

It's for the police. This particular police force is responsoble for the areas of Wales with the largest concentration of Welsh speakers, so they make it a policy to have their employees reach a certain degree of Welsh competency, depending on the job; they job I've applied for calls for Level 2 Welsh (by their standards) with Level 0 being "no knowledge" and Level 5 being first-language fluent, I would gauge myself as roughly Level 3. I did not do the Welsh test today as the English, mathematical and critical reasoning tests are nation-wide tests, the Welsh test will come if I have passed these.
CYMRU AM BYTH

A hardd yw Cymraeg."
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:51 pm

So did you grow up speaking Welsh or did you learn it as a second language? Or some mixture of both? I've always been interested in bilingual or multilingual households because unless you're Hispanic, you'll only be speaking English in the States.
Alec Taylor

Postby Dyolf » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:36 pm

Alec Taylor wrote:So did you grow up speaking Welsh or did you learn it as a second language? Or some mixture of both? I've always been interested in bilingual or multilingual households because unless you're Hispanic, you'll only be speaking English in the States.

I grew up in an English-speaking area of Wales, though had I grown up five miles away it would be a Welsh-speaking area. All children in Wales have to learn rudimentary Welsh but a lot of people forget it after leaving school. I, for one, believe that the language is an intrinsic part of Welsh identity, and I see no reason why all Welsh people can't grow up bilingual with equal competency in Welsh and English like a lot of mainland European countries do. I have Swiss cousins who are trilingual in English, French and German or crying out loud! But the Welsh language is often shit on by the English London* centric British government who see it as something which needs to be killed off.

* A name of Welsh origin I might add.

Anyway, I'll quit before this becomes a very political rant. In answer to the question, I have had to learn the language of my country as a second language, which I am very ashamed of; not least because Welsh is a very beautiful sounding language - Tolkien modelled the Elvish Sindarin language on it after all.

I was invited for an interview and sat the Welsh test, which was easier than I thought it would be.
CYMRU AM BYTH

A hardd yw Cymraeg."
Dyolf
Animals

Previous

Return to Outside the Wall