Rush

Discussion of music by other bands and artists.

Rush

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:03 am

I'm starting a topic for Rush, because I know a few people here like the band.

I personally have never heard much from them except "Tom Sawyer" and "Working Man" (or something LedZep sounding), and I probably couldn't tell you what either of them sounded like. However, the friends I have in real life that are Pink Floyd fans are also almost always fans of Rush, Yes, and Tool. I don't even want to like Tool, and Yes has never sunk in for me, but I've never really tried Rush. What's a good point to start with them?

And yeah, I could go read critic reviews and shit, but I trust down-to-Earth peoples' opinions, not some hoity-toity money-grubbing "critic" who is totally qualified to judge music.
I know the forum has had its highs and lows, but I think it's quickly approaching its final sleep... no point coming around when I'm basically talking to myself for weeks at a time, huh?
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Re: Rush

Postby quicksilver » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:49 pm

I love Rush. I've seen them 28 times starting in 1978. Most recently on their Clockwork Angels tour a few summers back. Their music has gone through so many changes over the years that it actually keeps them quite relevant. They started as a straightforward rock band and once Neal Peart joined on the second record they transitioned to a more progressive style. All 3 are such great musicians and they come together to create some really great music. Moving Pictures was the start of the 3rd phase of the band introducing synths. It marked a clear change of direction and they lost quite a few fans, but it was also the beginning of the MTV era, so they gained many new ones as well and became quite successful in the 80's. Part of their appeal is the fact that they are very good friends and seem to be good guys.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Artisan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:37 pm

Not a fan of the music but I loved Alex Lifeson's hall of fame speech.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby quicksilver » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:14 pm

Artisan wrote:Not a fan of the music but I loved Alex Lifeson's hall of fame speech.

Ya, that was classic. Didn't say much :lol:

Have you ever listened to their real early stuff like Caress of Steel or 2112?
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:02 pm

quicksilver wrote:Have you ever listened to their real early stuff like Caress of Steel or 2112?

I don't even remember. I'm sick for the millionth god damn time this year, so I'll have plenty of time to probably give it a chance.
I know the forum has had its highs and lows, but I think it's quickly approaching its final sleep... no point coming around when I'm basically talking to myself for weeks at a time, huh?
Alec Taylor

Postby Dyolf » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:03 pm

I listened to 2112 a few times but I find Lee's voice too grating.
CYMRU AM BYTH

"O’r ynys yma yw Cymraeg, o’r pridd yma.
Iaith hynaf pobl Prydain.
A hardd yw Cymraeg."
- Prof. J. R. R. Tolkien.
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:04 pm

Dyolf wrote:I listened to 2112 a few times but I find Lee's voice too grating.

His high notes were a bit grating, but when he sang lower notes I actually found him to be quite good. It reminded me a bit of Peter Gabriel at times when he sang low.
Alec Taylor

Postby Dyolf » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:53 am

And besides... prog is British ;)
CYMRU AM BYTH

"O’r ynys yma yw Cymraeg, o’r pridd yma.
Iaith hynaf pobl Prydain.
A hardd yw Cymraeg."
- Prof. J. R. R. Tolkien.
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:01 pm

Dyolf wrote:And besides... prog is British ;)

Yeah, just look at Kansas! :mrgreen:
Alec Taylor

Postby quicksilver » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:28 pm

SunShade wrote:
Dyolf wrote:And besides... prog is British ;)

Yeah, just look at Kansas! :mrgreen:

And Styx
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Artisan » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:55 pm

and me trying to play piano! :mrgreen:
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby quicksilver » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:18 pm

As far as air drumming in the car on the way to work- Rush is #1
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:40 pm

quicksilver wrote:As far as air drumming in the car on the way to work- Rush is #1

My morning commute is all of five minutes and no one here recognizes the legality of stop signs, so I don't have the luxury of air drumming! :lol:
Alec Taylor

Postby FrowningBanana » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:29 am

My unpopular opinion: Grace Under Pressure is a better album than Moving Pictures by a bit. Also, Vapor Trails is amazing.

Yeah my top 5 list would go something like this, and SunShade if you knew Rush, like many of my lists this one would be surprising to you:

1: Vapor Trails
2: Grace Under Pressure
3: Moving Pictures
4: Power Windows
5: Roll The Bones

Also I have a lot of trouble putting my finger on how I feel about Test for Echo as a whole. I hate some of the songs with a fiery passion, but I love some of them also. God.
Look up. You'll find things that you never imagined you would.

Anarcho-Capitalist, political activist.
Musician, and advocate of secession and non-aggression.
News editor for Being Libertarian, because freedom matters.
FrowningBanana
Atom Heart Mother

Postby quicksilver » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:17 pm

FrowningBanana wrote:My unpopular opinion: Grace Under Pressure is a better album than Moving Pictures by a bit. Also, Vapor Trails is amazing.

Yeah my top 5 list would go something like this, and SunShade if you knew Rush, like many of my lists this one would be surprising to you:

1: Vapor Trails
2: Grace Under Pressure
3: Moving Pictures
4: Power Windows
5: Roll The Bones

Also I have a lot of trouble putting my finger on how I feel about Test for Echo as a whole. I hate some of the songs with a fiery passion, but I love some of them also. God.

Tough for me to do a top five but:

1.A Farewell to Kings
2. 2112
3. Hemispheres
4. Moving Pictures
5. Power windows

Its difficult for me because I grew up listening to their early material and really found it refreshing compared to what was available at the time. As annoying as Geddy's voice was to some, it was also very unique and gave them an edge by setting them apart from other bands. If you were a Rush fan in 1977, you were "In the know" so to speak.

Permanent waves was a designed move to get away from the lengthy compositions to a more radio friendly format. That transitioned right into Moving pictures which is an incredible record top to bottom. At that point I knew that the "next" record would be a real departure from previous.

I admittedly didn't care for Signals at first but in time the "new era" of Rush did grow on me. Today I appreciate those records even more because they knew that they would alienate some fans but took the chance anyhow. That '82-'87 era produced some really good music (mixed in with crap too). I think Power Windows represents that era as a whole the best.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Alec Taylor » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:16 pm

Finally taking the dive into Rush. Made it through the "prog trilogy" (2112 - A Farewell to Kings - Hemispheres) and the "80s trilogy" (Permanent Waves - Moving Pictures - Signals), and plan on tackling Clockwork Angels very soon. Like Yes, this band has finally grown on me. "2112" is a really neat suite, and I love both of the "Cygnus X-1" tracks. And of course who doesn't like "Tom Sawyer" and "YYZ"? I've heard "Caravan" from CA so I'm ready to explore the rest of the album too.
Alec Taylor

Return to Music Discussion