The Who

Discussion of music by other bands and artists.

Your Favorite Album

My Generation
No votes
A Quick One
No votes
The Who Sell Out
No votes
Tommy
33%
Who's Next
33%
Quadrophenia
33%
The Who By Numbers
No votes
Who Are You
No votes
Face Dances
No votes
It's Hard
No votes
Endless Wire
No votes

Total votes : 6

Re: The Who

Postby Alec Taylor » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:57 pm

I've finally given a listen to all of The Who albums that I thought were worth my time.

1. Quadrophenia
2. Who's Next
3. Live at Leeds
4. The Who Sell Out
5. Who Are You
6. A Quick One
7. Tommy

I was surprised at how awesome Live at Leeds was (gave me a new appreciation for the early The Who), and how much Tommy actually kind of sucked.
Was it all a dream? - Alarm set for Autumn 2018
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Re: The Who

Postby Artisan » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:12 pm

What I like about Tommy is that there was a conscious decision to do nothing over the top with it: guitar, bass, drums, piano, vocals, and very rarely anything beyond that. Despite that, though, it's way more opera than rock to me, with useless 20-second interludes and distracting inner monologues to explain the plot because the character dialogue wasn't doing a very good job of it. It's like a clumsy musical minus the visuals, to me.

Quadrophenia, while definitely less rock-oriented than Tommy, doesn't rely on that kind of stuff. Pete seriously found his voice around this time. The biggest thing that pushes Quadrophenia ahead of Who's Next for me is that it doesn't rely on the structureless vamps that plague the latter ("gettin' in tune through the straight and narrow" x30) - every note counts and every note adds up to something. "Filler sections" are the Who's biggest weakness, and the only one on Quad ("I'm the face if you want it") actually adds to the album instead of just prolonging it.

The pre-Who's Next albums I have a tough time listening to. I used to love them, but now they just sound painfully amateurish. Fun at times, but I cringe quite a bit at the floppiness of a lot of it. It doesn't have the energy that the Who is known for. That said though, it's much easier to digest in The Kids Are Alright, I guess the visual element is what brings it up. Not sure.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Previous

Return to Music Discussion