Led Zeppelin

Discussion of music by other bands and artists.

What's your favorite studio album?

Led Zeppelin I
11%
Led Zeppelin II
11%
Led Zeppelin III
11%
Led Zeppelin IV
44%
Houses of the Holy
No votes
Physical Graffiti
11%
Presence
No votes
In Through The Out Door
No votes
Coda
11%

Total votes : 9

Re: Led Zeppelin

Postby Artisan » Wed May 06, 2015 10:58 pm

EDIT: I posted something here before, but I really don't like the way I worded it. It made no sense, I was wrapped up in the song I was listening to at the moment, and I feel really stupid for having posted it. I'm just going to rewrite it here since I can't delete it.

I've listened to the first four albums, and so far, I think that my favorite is the first album. Some of the tracks don't really work, and after Communication Breakdown, the last two songs start to blend together. I've read many reviews that say that How Many More Times is one of their best songs, but I haven't yet been able to keep my attention up throughout it. I think I just need to listen to it on its own to appreciate it.

However, I've listened to that album about seven times, but I've only listened to the other albums in full once each. II was nice and rocking, but a little bit juvenile. There wasn't anything serious on it, like Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, and there wasn't anything as attention-grabbing as Communication Breakdown. I really enjoy Ramble On until that completely unnecessary Lord of the Rings verse. Moby Dick is fine too, I don't think that the drum solo is long enough to drag the song down, and at least it's consistently interesting. But the rest... honestly, I can't remember what else is on the album besides Whole Lotta Love. Ditto III, of which I can say Immigrant Song is great and rocking, and the rest I cannot remember in the slightest.

As for IV, well... I really, really love two and a half of the songs here. The half is Stairway to Heaven when the drums kick in to the end, and forgive me, but once the whole band gets going, it just really speaks to me. I also really enjoy Going to California, it feels really familiar but I don't know if I've heard it before or if I'm just confusing it with A Pillow of Winds. And I'm going with the majority here and saying that When the Levee Breaks is definitely the best track on the album. It's one of the very few extended jams that I wish went on for longer. But the rest of the album doesn't hold up for me. The Battle of Evermore is kind of dumb, Misty Mountain Hop is way too overblown vocally for its instrumentation, Four Sticks is... I don't even remember how that one went, Rock and Roll was alright, and Black Dog was pretty good except that it was way too long.

Still waiting for Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti to be restocked, and also kicking myself that I didn't pick them up when I had the chance because now I'm broke. Also eagerly awaiting the remasters of Presence and In Through the Out Door, because I really love Achilles's Last Stand and Fool in the Rain.
Last edited by Artisan on Sat May 09, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu May 07, 2015 12:08 am

I really start to like "Stairway to Heaven" once the electric riff that sounds like it was stolen from The Beatles' "You Never Give Me Your Money" starts playing. Seeing as how that's my number two Beatles track, maybe that's why. :lol:
Was it all a dream? - Alarm set for Autumn 2018
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Artisan » Thu May 07, 2015 4:07 am

I like how many songs I've listened to that each have one little bit of Stairway that could probably assembled to recreate the song. You Never Give Me Your Money, the midsection of Ramble Tamble by CCR, All Along The Watchtower by Hendrix. Not to mention that Spirit song that was pretty deliberately ripped off.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Dyolf » Thu May 07, 2015 8:39 am

Apparently Page stole the tune from another band whom they performed at festivals with in the late 60s.
CYMRU AM BYTH

"O’r ynys yma yw Cymraeg, o’r pridd yma.
Iaith hynaf pobl Prydain.
A hardd yw Cymraeg."
- Prof. J. R. R. Tolkien.
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Artisan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:24 pm

I can't wait for the last remasters to come out on Friday. I'm leaving for work early to pick them up.
And yet six months ago I would have said Led Zeppelin were overrated garbage. I don't care, I've grown to embrace my own hyporcisy. And inabiltiy to spell.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Artisan » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:04 pm

Got the last three remasters, all deluxe editions. Wasn't planning on springing for Coda but I found out it had three discs and it was still priced down. I'm considerably less money...ful now but I have some cool new CDs. They sound like a huge improvement over the tracks I've heard on Youtube, but that's a given. I like them.

I will say I'm kind of disappointed that they decided to do ITTOD exactly as it was on vinyl. They replicated the flimsy paper bag and the booklet just rests in it. I was really hoping it would be a traditional LZ case, like Presence is, so I could take off the bag and keep it safe with my Houses of the Holy paper band. But now I need to worry. I could easily put the booklet inside one of the sleeves and put the two on my shelf, but then there's absolutely no protection. True to the original, yes, but very inconvenient. I also wish they chose the 'B' cover instead of the 'A' because I like that one more (the one it was traditionally available on CD with). Oh well. It sounds great anyway.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Straw » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:50 am

Have to say I don't like much to do with the later Zeppelin albums... Definitely not enough to get excited over a new remastering of theirs. Their first six albums are really good though.

Also I'm a bit annoyed that Four will always be remembered as their greatest, even though it was obviously One or Two.
Straw
Meddle

Postby Artisan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:08 pm

The first one is my favorite and probably always will be. LZ4 I stand by as only having three or four good tracks. I have never understood why people accept The Battle of Evermore and Misty Mountain Hop. Both drive me up the wall. Interestingly they're the only two Zep songs I really actively dislike. Even Carouselambra has a great middle part. But these two drag and drag and drag. Ehh.

I still need to listen to Presence and relisten to 3, Houses, and PG. and Coda too I suppose.

Also Straw have you heard the remasters of the early stuff? It's really well done.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Straw » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:23 am

I'm the kind of person who can't tell the difference between masters unless its something really obvious like stereo or distortion.
Straw
Meddle

Postby Artisan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:42 am

Pull up the remasters on spotify or something. One of my two friends hates remasters, I played him Black Dog and his face melted off.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby FrowningBanana » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:08 am

Artisan, lol, ironically I love Battle of Evermore so I could provide insight on that I guess. It's a cool song, melodically, and I feel like the lyrics and just general singing is less rough, its softer and its a nice song to listen to.

I understand why people wouldn't like it, but I love it. Then again, I freaking love Jon Anderson's "Olias of Sunhillow" so I guess this makes sense coming from me lel
Look up. You'll find things that you never imagined you would.

Anarcho-Capitalist, political activist.
Musician, and advocate of secession and non-aggression.
News editor for Being Libertarian, because freedom matters.
FrowningBanana
Atom Heart Mother

Postby Dyolf » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:23 am

FrowningBanana wrote:Artisan, lol, ironically I love Battle of Evermore so I could provide insight on that I guess. It's a cool song, melodically, and I feel like the lyrics and just general singing is less rough, its softer and its a nice song to listen to.

I understand why people wouldn't like it, but I love it. Then again, I freaking love Jon Anderson's "Olias of Sunhillow" so I guess this makes sense coming from me lel

Both "The Battle of Evermore" and Olias of Sunhillow are epic. I love everything about "The Battle of Evermore" not least it's Tolkien inspired lyrics. And don't even get me started on why Olias is amazing.
CYMRU AM BYTH

A hardd yw Cymraeg."
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:45 am

Olias of Sunhillow?
Alec Taylor

Postby Dyolf » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:10 pm

SunShade wrote:Olias of Sunhillow?

Jon Anderson's (of Yes) first studio solo album, and by far his best. It is one of my top 5 "prog" albums... sometimes. It's very, very, very good. It was released in 1976 when all the then-members of Yes decided to have a break, yet they all decided to do a solo album. Jon's was easily the best of the efforts, followed by Chris Squire's Fish Out of Water.

Anyway, it tells the story of a race of people from a far away planet called Sunhillow. The planet is devastated by a massive volcanic eruption and the people flee the world in a ship called the Moorglade Mover. Olias is the person chosen to build the Moorglade. Two other characters: Ranyart pilots/navigates the Moorglade and Qoquaq is the leader who unites the tribes of Sunhillow for the exodus. They find a new, much larger planet, settle on it and we now know this as our Earth. Although the part about finding the Earth and settling it doesn't appear on the album, Anderson has explained that this is to be depicted in a sequel called Zamran: Son of Olias.

Anderson has made the album free to listen to on YouTube here.
CYMRU AM BYTH

A hardd yw Cymraeg."
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Artisan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:03 pm

Heh. No I could never get into Battle of Evermore. I don't get the mandolin, although my mandolin tastes were raised on REM and Fisherman's Blues so it's a totally different style than the one that I love. Misty Mountain Hop too never struck a chord with me. I hate both of them - probably the only two Zep songs I hate all the way through. Carouselambra I suppose gets a pass because of that awesome midsection. Though the rest of it sucks. Ehh.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Artisan » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:59 pm

Am I the only one who loves D'yer Mak'er? That seems to be one of their most hated songs but I think it's great.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:19 pm

Looks like the ol' Led Zep is officially being taken to court on May 10 over the similarities between "Stairway to Heaven" and Spirit's "Taurus". I wonder how this is going to pan out. Personally, it's a hugely common chord progression, and waiting fifty years to do anything about it is shitty and just screams "we need some cash". Anyone else notice that the ending section of "You Never Give Me Your Money" by The Beatles uses this exact same progression as well? Why not sue them while you're at it, Spirit?
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:29 pm

Yeah I call BS on that. There are three notes that are the same and then a chord progression that lots of songs use. Zep are well-known thieves and I'm not going to deny it - I mean, they changed the title of "Killing Floor" to "The Lemon Song" and claimed full authorship - but I'll stick up for 'em here as this is just stupid. Look at all the times there's been blatant plagiarism (every One Direction song ever written) where the (original) author has said "yeah I don't care". If Spirit are going to make a case based on three notes and a chord progression, I guess Chuck Berry can sue everyone who plays electric guitar (which he practically has tried to do).

Oh and while I'm on the subject, people were freaking out about that godawful Bl*rred L*nes (pardon my French) song losing to Marvin Gaye's estate. People were saying that now you could get sued for being inspired by someone. Well, listen to those two songs and if you haven't killed yourself you'll notice that Bl*rred L*nes is actually a pretty blatant ripoff of Gotta Give It Up. If anything, this whole Spirit/Zeppelin thing is the case that means "you can get sued for sounding 'a little bit like it'" and the whole Marvin Gaye thing is "you ripped off this legendary song and turned it into an anthem promoting date rape, the least you can do after shitting on Marvin's legacy is give us all your money and go live in a box under a bridge".
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby The Silver Lining » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:50 am

I've finally gone ahead and bought a Led Zeppelin turn. Physical Graffiti had Kashmir on it, so that's the one I went with.

I'm digging it. Definitely going to give it another spin today.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby quicksilver » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:14 pm

Great choice-

I'm not a huge Zeppelin fan but Physical Graffiti is my favorite record of theirs by far. It has such a great blend of musical styles that really showcase what they were capable of. They're revered as a hard rock blues based band, but this record is so much more. Country, folk, rock, indian etc.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Artisan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:23 pm

I don't know whether the debut or Graffiti is my favorite album. The first album is probably more consistently great, but I think PG has better highlights. Ten Years Gone, The Rover, Houses of the Holy, and bits and pieces of In The Light are right at the top of my list. The recent remastered series (records or CDs) that say remastered by Jimmy Page are fantastic. Jimmy still has good ears. He knows when enough is enough when it comes to mastering; that's something I really admire in a world where more than half the music that comes out feels designed to obliterate my ears.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:13 pm

Finally listened to all of Led Zeppelin. First three albums aren't really my speed, but Led Zep IV and Houses of the Holy are favorites of mine. Physical Graffiti and In Through the Out Door have moments that I like, and Presence was mostly forgettable to me (except "Achilles Last Stand" and "Hots On For Nowhere"). I might have to say that Led Zep are among the most overrated bands of all time.
Alec Taylor

Previous

Return to Music Discussion